odd fossil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd fossil...

Got out for a little creek walking today and got skunked on the artifacts but I did find this rather peculiar fossil...Personally I've never found anything like it. Normally when I find a fossil this large it is a part of a larger rock. In the first picture you can actually see the tiny nodules/spines that are laid out across the shell in a grid like pattern. Any fossil experts know what this is?

I am no expert but from what I have learned on AH.com it is some type of brachiopod. I am sure Roger or Jesse will let you know what kind of brachiopod. Cool find man. thanks for sharing
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I believe it's a bi-valve : Liosotella. There are several types so I could be wrong...but according to the field guide, this one fits the description best.
      That's a pretty nice one...still has the actual shell instead of a cast or impression.

Comment

Hoss is correct in that it is a brachiopod, Rokhead on the nose.
        It is washing out of a Permian deposit somewhere.
        They are also found in Devonian deposits,also in the Pennsylvanian and Missipian deposits in Ok. and elsewhere.
        Usually not in this good of condition.
        Alaska produces some of the best well preserved in the world.
        Some in the, Pecos region Permian deposits, Glass Mountain range
        can be found still in the matrix.
        Using an acid etch they can be extracted and the spines will stand out like spikes!
        Pretty nice find dude.
        Jessy (Bone2stone)
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance on my guess! I'm just hunter...no schooling...and my field guides are all outdated and worn out. I love to learn and guessing games are some of the best ways for me. Thanks again!

Comment

This is a great site. A year ago I would have said nice fossil and today I knew how to spell Brachiopod.
            The spell check is even saying that is wrong but Jesse said I did good!    
            Thank you Jesse and thank you speed for posting the cool fossil.
            Hoss
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks Jessy...After a little searching I too thought it was a Brachiopod but the ones I've seen pictured don't look much like mine. I see now there are many types of Brachiopod...Thanks again. Made it worth the couple hours stompin' around the creek.

Comment

No prob you should google up Glass Mountain texas fossils and take a look at some of the stuff found there.
                Jessy
                It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                Circa:1982

Comment

For me also!

Comment

Working...
                  X