Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Human bone?? Please help id

Hi this bone made me wonder if it could be a human bone or what? Thank you

Nope. Cannon Bone/metacarpal (lower leg bone). Looks like horse to me.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Ok that is good I was slightly sketched out lol

Comment

It’s good that it is not human. There are many many missing persons in country and all over the world. I hope you never walk upon such a grave discovery unless it is of a ancient burial..You were right to feel unease on the bone. You’ll know if you ever walk up upon the remains of a missing person , you will not be interested in taking pics. Call the law !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Definitely not human, but there appears to be a groove running longitudinally so it's not a horse metacarpal. Those consist of a single fused element with no groove. The groove is a feature of bovids, as is the 'waisted' form with a narrow mid section and bulbous ends.

It could be bison or cow but needs some closer examination. There are significant differences between metacarpals/metatarsals of the two species if you look closely. In cattle the groove is relatively deep, but shallow in Bison. In the pics below (cow on the left, Bison on the right) note the lateral 'swellings' on the sides just below the condyles ('knuckles') of the bison bone which are absent in cattle. Also, the groove 'flares out' to become wider towards the middle of the bone (ie bottom of the picture) in Bison, but not in cattle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bovid Metatarsals.jpg Views:	0 Size:	282.5 KB ID:	405576
          [Pictures from 'Tracer' on the Fossil Forum]
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            My head is spinning now...

Yeah I totally agree with the above posters. One place that I search was pastureland for about 10 years and although the plow has turned it for many years now I find a bone similar to that once in a while.
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Cow and deer bones is all I ever see. But I leave them anyway
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
            X