Bone with Flint where Morrow was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone with Flint where Morrow was

I found this near the Lampasas River at Oakalla Ridge near Kempner, TX. It was about 3 ft. deep. It appears to be bone with flint where the marrow once was. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    The first picture shows the larger end. The second picture shows the broken side view. The third picture shows the narrower end. It has "caliche" patina on it, so the "marrow" area is harder to see.

People were also finding artefacts at this site. Mainly Pedernales, Cornertangs, Andice, and others I'm not familiar with...but several different periods there. Many other tools bone, shell, etc. Certainly a camp or two there.

Comment

I'm having problems with my macro setting. I will try to get better pics. Sorry.

Comment

Do not think this is bone. It looks like a chert conglomerate nodule, you can see the coretex on the outside. A better picture would help on this. 
        Jack

Comment

rokhedred wrote:

I found this near the Lampasas River at Oakalla Ridge near Kempner, TX. It was about 3 ft. deep. It appears to be bone with flint where the marrow once was. Any ideas would be appreciated.
          The first picture shows the larger end. The second picture shows the broken side view. The third picture shows the narrower end. It has "caliche" patina on it, so the "marrow" area is harder to see.

Here are better pics. The subject is 1" long, and 1" at the widest end.

Comment

greywolf22 wrote:

Do not think this is bone. It looks like a chert conglomerate nodule, you can see the coretex on the outside. A better picture would help on this. 
            Jack
            I was wondering if that might be the case.

Comment

bone, when fossilizing becomes silicified or agatized.  What you are seeing is normal for fossilized bone, the interior can turn into the same cryptocrystalline quartz as "flint"....especially dinosaur times bones.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

So, this may be a dinobone?

Comment

rokhedred wrote:

The last picture looks similar to bone, but not sure. Would need to see under a microscope to see if there is any cell structure.
                  Jack

Comment

[QUOTE]greywolf22 wrote:

Originally posted by rokhedred post=41603
                      The last picture looks similar to bone, but not sure. Would need to see under a microscope to see if there is any cell structure.
                    Jack
                      Tough call on that one. It does look like bone, but as Jack says we'd need to see some cellular structure to be sure.
                    Incidentally, if it were flint (don't believe so) it would be marine origin and might contain aquatic reptilian bones but not dinosaur as conventionally defined.
                    Painshill
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hey rockhed I'm glad to see someone is hitting the Oakalla Ridge dig. Keep us up on what is comming out.
                      I have been following some of the activity on another site and you're right there is some mighty fine stuff comming out of there.
                      Oakalla Kid, as he refers to himself, found a chondrite stony meteorite there!
                      Bone2stone
                      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                      Circa:1982

Comment

Yes, Oakalla Ridge has had some REALLY awesome stuff there. Yes he did!!! That was an amazing find. I love going out there!! Waiting for warmer weather. It's hard diggin' but even harder when the wind chill is way down. Can't wait!!!! Mac is one of the nices Dig owners I know. Sometime he won't charge me, cuz he knows I can't move much dirt. If they're runnin' the sifters he always charges me! But he's got a real fair price.

Comment

I can send you a link to get in on their web site if you have not allready done so.
                          I have not gotten down there yet but I will sometime this spring.
                          Did you camp over nite?
                          Bone2stone

​Jessy B.

Comment

I'm a member there. =) I am rokhedred...I think I have the same pics there that I do here, maybe a few more. It's not nearly as active as this site, but lots of nice pics. I was at the DigAThon...if you look at the pics I'm the one in the funky OD green hat at the screens.
                            You really should come check it out. Give me a heads up, and if I can...I'll meet ya there.
                            Yes...I camped! Love to camp when the weather is nice.
                            I've often thought of becomming a squatter! LOL I just wanna get a travel trailer and camp at dig sites!

Comment

Well good-on-ya.
                              When I do get to go there I will most likely let ya know ahead of time.
                              I Love Texas.
                              Bone2stone

​Jessy B.

Comment

Working...
                              X