One of my favorites...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my favorites...

Petrified ant village? Roots? What is it? I don't know but I had to drag it home. Its about a 8x8 slab of sandstone...

Petrified alien skin.....I knew they were here! hmy:
    I....have......no......idea :S
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

If I stare it this picture for too long it makes my brain twitch... :blink:

Comment

I have no idea, but I'm sure Roger will know
        Rhode Island

Comment

septarian nodule??
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

tomclark wrote:

septarian nodule??
              TAAA  DAAA!!!
            Bone2stone
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

Thanks! Dang you guys are good...

Comment

[QUOTE]Bone2stone wrote:

Originally posted by tomclark post=42552
                septarian nodule??
                TAAA DAAA!!!
                Bone2stone
                Oooooh!…. Nearly, but not quite. Nice specimen. Ryan, assuming your description of it being a “slab” is accurate, what you have there is a planar, sedimentary version of a septarian nodule (more properly septarian concretion). We call this rock “septarium”…. also colloquially known as “turtle stone”.
                As such, it’s a relatively rare rock formed from sediments in a bedding plane rather than the more usual discrete egg-shaped nodular lumps of it embedded in other rocks… frequently sandstone.

Septarian concretion

Septarium

The name derives from the Latin “septum” (plural: septa”) which means “partition”. In sandstone that has formed from material rich in clay or organic sediment, cracks arise from dehydration and shrinkage. Those cracks frequently fill with crystalline material precipitated from percolating groundwater which then lithifies. Calcite would be typical, but quartz is also possible.

Sometimes the cracks don’t fill with minerals and you then get this kind of effect:

Septarian cracks are normally fairly angular but can be distorted by pressure before the mass has solidified.

Painshill
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

[QUOTE]painshill wrote:

[quote=Bone2stone post=42565]
                  Originally posted by tomclark post=42552
                  septarian nodule??
                    TAAA  DAAA!!!
                  Bone2stone
                    Oooooh!…. Nearly, but not quite. Nice specimen. Ryan, assuming your description of it being a “slab” is accurate, what you have there is a planar, sedimentary version of a septarian nodule (more properly septarian concretion). We call this rock “septarium”…. also colloquially known as “turtle stone”.
                  As such, it’s a relatively rare rock formed from sediments in a bedding plane rather than the more usual discrete egg-shaped nodular lumps of it embedded in other rocks… frequently sandstone.

Septarian concretion

Septarium
                    The name derives from the Latin “septum” (plural: septa”) which means “partition”. In sandstone that has formed from material rich in clay or organic sediment, cracks arise from dehydration and shrinkage. Those cracks frequently fill with crystalline material precipitated from percolating groundwater which then lithifies. Calcite would be typical, but quartz is also possible.
                  Sometimes the cracks don’t fill with minerals and you then get this kind of effect:

Septarian cracks are normally fairly angular but can be distorted by pressure before the mass has solidified.
                  Painshill
                    Tomato/Tomahto
                  Yeah Rogers right.
                  I did not stop to think....
                  BTW: We got'em here in the Dallas area in the Eagleford as nodules and in the Woodbine as slabs.
                  Some in the Eagleford contain vast amounts of micro and macro fossils.
                  It's been a long time since I've heard of the nodules being referred to as "turtles".
                  Put it under a Black light it may be flouresent. Ours have a green and some have orange flouresence.
                  Some have none at all...
                  I'll try to find some of mine from both deposits.....
                  Bone2stone
                  It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                  It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                  Circa:1982

Comment

Wow! thanks for the info. Here's a pic of the whole thing. When I said 8x8 i meant inches.

Comment

Wouldn't want to be lost in that maze!  That's a really cool find.
                      Pam

Comment

Wow that is pretty cool stuff. I think that when I was told there are alot of know it all's here it was the truth :laugh:

Comment

Marrattukka wrote:

Wow that is pretty cool stuff. I think that when I was told there are alot of know it all's here it was the truth :laugh:
                            There are some vey knowledgeable people here with many years of study and experience. "No it alls", I don't think so.
                          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Ray I didnt meen that in a diragatory way and hope I didnt offend you and if so sorry bro.

Comment

Marrattukka wrote:

Todd, I completely understand. It can look that way can’t it? The other side of the coin is that folks often use websites like ours as reference sources and the stuff we post will also ultimately get picked up by search engines. We should take great pride in that and do our best to ensure that what’s on offer is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Otherwise, that’s how misinformation gets propagated, with a belief that it's authoritative.
                              Painshill
                              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                              X