Question about bone finds....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about bone finds....

Awhile back I was point hunting near a lake with a lot of history. Anyway, I found a petrified bone. After a lot of study, I'm almost positive it's one of the many finger bones of a human. My question; what is the proper way to store, return, I don't know, take care of it? I'm a very superstitious person and the burial rites of old cultural people were intense. I highly enjoy it in my artifact collection, yet I feel there's more I should do here. Any thoughts?

Personally, I would feel it would be horrible to keep in a collection and not very honorable but that’s just my belief. Bad juju.
    South Carolina

Comment

If it's truly petrified (as opposed to has a bit of mineralisation) then it's unlikely to be human. If you post here (or PM me) with dimensions then I may be able to give you a view on whether it is or isn't likely to be human. If it is, there's no way of knowing whether it's native American, early settler, war victim, from an unmarked grave or whatever but respectfully returning it to the ground where you found it (and deeply buried to reduce the risk of it being rediscovered) would seem the right thing to do.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

recommend returning it to where you found it if indeed it's human, perform a simple burial ceremony, asking a blessing and honoring the family's ancestral lineage
        Last edited by LongStride; 05-29-2021, 11:44 AM.
        2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

O, don’t pm; post here so can know! (.... but mustn’t let my sometimes dangerously unbridled enthusiasm effect your discretion!!)

[hrs. later post script: Gosh, I sounded even more unthinking than usual, and my meaning may have gotten lost. I’d love to read process of determination by Pain and/or others knowledgeable enuf to offer opinion. If indeed ancient human, then of course needs to be reInterred; if not-ancient human, then notifying authorities may be in order. If not human, ancient or otherwise, then curious as to origin.]
          Last edited by Cecilia; 05-30-2021, 12:55 AM.
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Thanks for input guys. A general consensus I think. As for the worrying by me I'm right along. More study on subject first I think.

Comment

I would love to see it. I know about human osteology and I have found many human finger bones over the years. I have always reburied them where they were found. I called the "State Archaeologist" years ago and explained that I'd found human finger bones that eroded out along the shore/midden... he told me that they didn't have the resources/workers to check on it and would I please just rebury them up off the beach.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

I am sure if they gave you the right and a license you would volunteer your medical knowledge and time just to be able to access new exciting areas .
                Well you can only hope . You already do that don’t you Tom ?

Comment

Working...
                X