Old Bone Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Bone Found

I was out driving to a Thanksgiving dinner and seen a site that was being developed into a wetland so the next day drove back to check things out . They have been digging very wide trenches down to the old river bottom and all sorts of shells and smaller bones were in the old river bottom sand and gravel. Most everything was damaged and when touched fell apart to dust. Eventually I worked my way to a trench that was slowly changing to fine gravel and I found this bone that eroded out of the sand and gravel. I don’t know how old it may be. It was amazing to see no man made debris in the tench walls at all except about the area where the old farming equipment use to plow.

Comment

It’s about 13 1/2 inches and was about 4 or 5 feet below the surface of the ground. There were also old trees imbedded in the old river sand and gravel. I thought for sure I would have found chert flakes or points but not one bit.

Comment

This is a arial photo of the area and a point at which it was found.

Comment

I have to keep it in water to keep it from cracking. I’m not to familiar with preserving bone.

Comment

Thanks for your help . I was out shopping and thought about this clear Elmer’s Glue that I seen and possibly a 50/50 blend of isopropyl alcohol for quicker evaporation. I have been reading of 1 tablespoon of Butvar 76 per 16oz. of Acetone…. Elmer’s is closer.

Comment

I wonder how durable is Elmer’s as a preservative on bone. And I have got it as clean as I could get it without damage. I’m suspecting that this might be a horse humerus bone of some age. I know it was buried in the old river base that was 4 to 5 feet of dirt that was on top until it was uncovered .

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                Hal Gorges commented
                Editing a comment
                I have bone found in river..Treated 50years ago.looks like day it was treated..Elmers turns yellowish but doesn’t matter on bone

Try this many here have with great success. Gomer's solution
              This forum is packed with useful information. At least four different members recommended using Gomer's Solution to preserve shell and bone artifacts. I mixed some
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                Try this many here have with great success. Gomer's solution
                https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...on-works-great
                I have read that it is used by soaking but I wonder if anyone has brushed it in. The difficulty for me is that I have had to soak it in water to keep it from cracking and drying it is going to be difficult. I’m thinking of taking it out of the water and keeping it in a damp towel so when I go to dry it all will dry better.???

Comment

Looks like a bovine front leg bone

Comment

Yes, bovine front knee joint. Familiar with modern day grocery store version. (Only one is Baby Bones’; she steals from other Dog)

Click image for larger version  Name:	80C3E251-EE80-4D29-92CE-F9532B9DED3A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	603104
                    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I have one to compare!LOL!! My dog thought I brought a new toy home!!!
                      Last edited by Gemcity; 12-02-2021, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Looking a little more at my dogs cow humerus it actually a little different at one end
                        Attached Files

Comment

I thought it matched the horse better.

Comment

Here’s a cow humerus.

Comment

• Cecilia
                              Cecilia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good job comparing! ….I’ve been lil sloppy lately!
                          Working...
                          X