Trilobites of Nevada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trilobites of Nevada

These are among the earliest of trilobites, dating from the Lower Cambrian and collected(not by me) in Lincoln County, Nevada. All are members of the genus Olenellus. From head to tip[ of tail spine, these range from 1 1/4"-2 1/4".

Olenellus gilberti:

Click image for larger version

Name:	049c [replaced].jpg
Views:	266
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	219741

Name:	057c [replaced].jpg
Views:	270
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	219742

Olenellus chiefensis:

Name:	045c [replaced].jpg
Views:	217
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	219743

This next O. chiefensis conveys a sense of motion, with its' tail swept upward and recurved.

Olenellus fowleri:

Rhode Island

Charlie, those are cool! Thanks for showing them.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Only thing better than a nice artifact is a nice fossil. Thanks Charlie!
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Beautiful examples, Charlie.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

It's good to see others that do not have such narrow views
          on collecting items other than artifacts.
          I like finding trilobites.
          Thanks for showing. I particularly like that reverse impression.
          You did not find them,,,, but are they in your collection? B)
          Jess B.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

Bone2stone wrote:

It's good to see others that do not have such narrow views
            on collecting items other than artifacts.
            I like finding trilobites.
            Thanks for showing. I particularly like that reverse impression.
            You did not find them,,,, but are they in your collection? B)
            Jess B.
              Thank you. Yes, Jesse, they are in my collection. My favorite genus in fact. That, and Paradoxides. Good call on the negative impression(photo 3). That can be hard to tell from a photo.
            Rhode Island

Comment

wow, those are nice! I have some trilobites but none from Nevada.. My favorite is Isotelus Maximus they look like a bullfrog, and being close to Ohio, that and flexicalymene are the most common in this region.. I got a few bugs I'll post them someday.. Thanks for showing those killer bugs

Comment

awesome show Charlie thanks man!
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Well me likie!!! Or can you tell by my avitar that I have an affinity to the buggie stuff.
                  I got a few from other states and some others from overseas somewhere in my collection room.
                  It's a little crowded in there and those little buggers are pretty small.
                  I also have two from the Permian of Tex. "last of the last" can't think of the genus right now.
                  Have you been to the Quartzite NM show? Got many bugs there from all over the world.
                  Jess b

​Jessy B.

Comment

Bone2stone wrote:

Well me likie!!! Or can you tell by my avitar that I have an affinity to the buggie stuff.
                    I got a few from other states and some others from overseas somewhere in my collection room.
                    I also have two from the Permian of Tex. "last of the last" can't think of the genus right now.
                    Have you been to the Quartzite NM show? Got many bugs there from all over the world.
                    Jess b
                      No, Jesse, never been to that show or the big one in Tucson. Paladin sp. is a late Permian Texas bug, but don't know if that's one in your avtar.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

[QUOTE]CMD wrote:

Originally posted by Bone2stone post=65565
                      Jess b
                        No, Jesse, never been to that show or the big one in Tucson. Paladin sp. is a late Permian Texas bug, but don't know if that's one in your avtar.
                        No, my avitar is the Paladin morrowensis(Mather)
                      Pennsylvanian Wolf Mnt Shale near Bridgeport Wise Co. Tex.
                      The Permian specimens I have are Delaria antigua(Girty) from the Camp Creek Shale.
                      I did not find my Delaria. I traded some Calycoceras ammonites for them.
                      I think I got a very good deal because they are "Very rare".
                      I'll try to locate them this Sunday. Rediscovery in my very own home!!!!!!
                      Jessy B.

​Jessy B.

Comment

Wow, those are very cool Charlie! I have a couple of fossils kicking around here but no Trilobites.......I'm gonna have to try and find some now! Anybody selling a trilobite? lol.....not really something I can find in the field here!
                        Southern Connecticut

Comment

Weepingeyegorget wrote:

wow, those are nice! I have some trilobites but none from Nevada.. My favorite is Isotelus Maximus they look like a bullfrog, and being close to Ohio, that and flexicalymene are the most common in this region.. I got a few bugs I'll post them someday.. Thanks for showing those killer bugs
                          Thanks for your comments, everybody :cheer: I appreciate it; these are my favorite genus of bug and I made sure I acquired nice ones.
                          Lance, thanks, I had an Isotelus maximus that was 5", but sold it years ago to an avid collector in Japan. Here's a nicely preserved juvenile Isotelus maximus. For those unfamiliar, I. maximus is the state fossil of Ohio and could reach lengths in excess of 15 inches. A giant among trilos. This little bug is 1 3/8" long, and the genal spines are longer in proportion to the body then is the case in adults of the species.

Name:	Fossils013c [replaced].jpg
Views:	255
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	219744

Name:	Fossils012c [replaced].jpg
Views:	217
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	219745
                          Rhode Island

Comment

[QUOTE]Bone2stone wrote:

[quote=CMD post=65569]
                            Originally posted by Bone2stone post=65565
                            Jess b
                              No, my avitar is the Paladin morrowensis(Mather)
                            Pennsylvanian Wolf Mnt Shale near Bridgeport Wise Co. Tex.
                            The Permian specimens I have are Delaria antigua(Girty) from the Camp Creek Shale.
                            I did not find my Delaria. I traded some Calycoceras ammonites for them.
                            I think I got a very good deal because they are "Very rare".
                            I'll try to locate them this Sunday. Rediscovery in my very own home!!!!!!
                            Jessy B.
                            From my own experience, re-finding things at home is almost twice the fun   Looking fwd to seeing them.
                            Rhode Island

Comment

That isotelus is really nice!! I have a couple but they are rolled up.. I would have loved to seen your mega bug, the biggest one I got is an paraoxides trilobite from Morrocco.. I got it from a guy and he told me almost all of them are highly restored, the one I got is about 5% restored, and is in original matrix cost me several times the amount of the others he had, ( he was from morocco) and said that they were extremely hard to find in that condition.. It's about 14" long.. Speaking of permain bugs, I got two from Oklahoma, they are ditomyphoge ( hope I spelt that right going on memory) they are super small however.. The rariest bug I got comes from Crawfordsville, IN.. and it was valued at around $1000.00 only about an 1" long Mississippian period..

Comment

Working...
                              X