Clear All

• Is this a mammoth rib bone?

Found in eastern Kansas

Well my curiosity is peaked.
    keep on keepin after

Comment

Sideview

Comment

I'm by no means an expert but I think it's to small to be from a mammoth. It looks like it has some age to it, maybe a bison rib.
        West central Montana. God bless and happy hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by FrontRange View Post
          I'm by no means an expert but I think it's to small to be from a mammoth. It looks like it has some age to it, maybe a bison rib.
          I've found bison ribs before and I thought this was too big for Bison. Someone said B. latifrons maybe. I guess that's a possibility. Still seems big though. But I don't know I'm obviously no expert either.

Comment

I'm not sure what layers are in your area. Bison antiquus could be a possibility as well. One area I hunt has a exposed layer that's ice age and I've found teeth from camels, horses, and even possible a wooly rhinoceros tooth. Without finding more of the animal it will be hard to identify, I'm thinking 🤔. If there is a museum in your area take it there and have them look at it, they might have some answers for you. I took some dinosaur bones to a museum that specializes in dinosaurs and it was amazing what they could tell me from a little bone, most of what I had that could be identified was Maiasaura, the duck bill dinosaur and Montana state fossil.
            West central Montana. God bless and happy hunting!

Comment

• Bobclark97
              Bobclark97 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Sorry for the late reply. Hope you had good holidays. Yes I emailed a couple people at a university that should know. Hopefully I hear back from someone
          Working...
          X