Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m. 99% sure it’s a tooth…

Anybody know what flavor?

found on a sand bar in the Mississippi River about 40 miles south of memphis.

I think it might be a bison or horse, buts it’s way bigger than any horse tooth I’ve ever seen. It’s 3” long and a little over an inch across, either way.

side views and distal end.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Bovine

Comment

I agree with Fla.Hillbilly. Bovine tooth. I find those from time to time along the creeks I walk. If you put a lighter to the edge of it, you will get a burning hair like smell.

Comment

Thank y’all. So probably just a regular cow, not bison?
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	715166 ​Whoever it belonged to, it is old! Is it fossilized?
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m pretty sure it is, but I’m also not real smart. I have no idea how to tell.

Also, check this out:
          This is a surface find, found laying on top of a small gravel deposit in a creek. The location is in Northwest Ohio in the till plains region very near the border of what was the Great Black Swamp. @ 6 miles north east of Tiffin. The creek forms a small ravine starting at the top of a wooded grou...

Comment

Look up Horse teeth.
            N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	715189

Comment

I sent your pictures to a friend of mine that is a professional archaeologist from Helena that probably looks on the same sand bar you were on and his answer was just 5 words: horse, fossil, from upper jaw

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  😁

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks bro. I was kinda shocked at the size of it. I’ve had horses for 35 years and none of them have teeth this
                  big, but none of them are/were prehistoric horses either.
                  A buddy of mine found a mastodon tooth in NE ark back in the late eighties and it was easily four times this size.

** it’s the first sandbar north of the mouth of the St. Francis on the West Bank. It’s technically part ours, but usually under water. It runs north almost all the way to the Battle Axe boat ramp, Hardin Point is just across the river.
                  Last edited by Jethro355; 01-14-2024, 05:25 PM.

• JEBMs
                  JEBMs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We camped on that bar many years ago before I knew about fossils out there. John, that ID’ed your tooth, had a large collection of fossils that I believe he donated to the Pink Palace Museum in Memphis
              Working...
              X