Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone2Stone and TexasHarper Go Fossilin!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone2Stone and TexasHarper Go Fossilin!!!

If you want to see the In Situ of some of these Loverlies....

:woohoo: So Bone2Stone (Jessy Boe) and I (TexasHarper aka Cathy) met up today to go find some fossils. Here are some of the Insitu of what we found!! Jessy told me

Bone2Stone(Jessy Boe) and I (TexasHarper aka CathyHarper) Met up today to go fossil hunting here in Dallas. Jessy was kind enough to invite me along to one of his secret and very prolific locations!!! I was stunned and...as usual...before I even get to the actual site, started picking up bits of fossil.
    Here is a great pic of Jessy!!! He's smiling!!!!

Bluebonnets were all over..along with the poison ivy!!!

As soon as we reached the clearning...there was so much material to behold

Found these right next to the broken lil ammonites. I thought they were bits of moss from a tree..but Jessy taught me that these are actually fossilized sea creatures. I forget the name...

Right off the bat, we found something beautiful!!! Jessy spotted it first, but waited for me to spot it as well...It's almost translucent!!

I managed to find another on my own...

Jessy, found even more!!!!

And it popped right out of it's matrix for him!!

AND another!!!

I learned a lot from Jessy today and feel really blessed that he's taken me along!!! He also found this lovely pink Hoploshaphite!!! Yes...I just learned today..what a hoploshaphite was.

Now just so ya all know..I'm a pretty good, GoodLuck Charm!!! Jessy said in the 20 years he'd been visiting the site he'd never found a sharks tooth, and told me not to expect to find one. But, today I was with him......

Jessy also found bone!!! Bone from what he figures was a plesiosaur. He also found (the large piece next to the ammonite) a fossilized fish gill plate. Then we spotted these fossilized fish bones.

One of the items I learned to find the quickest were crabs and shrimp. We found several of each.
    This is the fossilized remains of a baculite Jessy found that he let me keep...

All my goodie....just another few of my new Favorite Things!!! Shrimp on the bottom left...crabs on the bottom right...

A last look at the site, before we leave.....Well be back!!! Afterall...we left about 80% of the area untouched!!!

Thanks again to Jessy, for sharing this site and experience with me. I'm always enriched by our adventurers!!!

Thanks for takin us fossilin ,

Comment

Awesome pics Cathy! Looks like you guys had a very productive day.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks for the show Cathy you have a good teacher there learn all you can he is a good man to share this way! Thanks JessB, you are the man!
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Well I was going to ID the stuff but you "Cat" have a pretty good grasp on just what you found.
          The questionable fossil that you thought was tree bark... Exitelceras inner chambers sections belong to the same family as the ammonites.
          The ammonites we found are Metoicoceras whitti.
          Material they are composed of is Ironite and calcite crystal.
          The scaphite, I started cleaning it and as it turns out the color is rather odd.
          It's pink calcite crystal. Second best one I have ever found! 

Got some more work to do on the scaphite and will post as an attachment when I finish.
          My total keeper finds were 12 metoi two scaph, and I only kept six of the shrimp.
          The bone stuff I only kept for site specimen information.
          Glad you had a good time. I do not share site info with anybody, Cat's intrests go beyond fossils arrowheads and bottles that is why she gets to go.Good students that listen are hard to come by.
          Otherwise I would have gone alone and that first "Jewel" quality ammonite would have gone in my special pocket!!!! :whistle:
          Jess B.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

Great thread and photos, Cathy. Thanks to you and Jess for all the interesting fossil hunting posts!
            Rhode Island

Comment

Here are three that I've cleaned up.....What do ya think, Jessy...How did I do??

And just incase you wonder how I keep up with all these awesome finds....

Comment

What an awesome set of pictures and really cool finds!! Thanks for tour!!
                Southern Connecticut

Comment

Looks pretty incredible to me!!
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thank you Both...I enjoyed the look very much...it was like I was there finding and learning along with you two....in one word...WOW
                    I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

TexasHarper wrote:

Here are three that I've cleaned up.....What do ya think, Jessy...How did I do??

And just incase you wonder how I keep up with all these awesome finds....
                        You did nicely, I do like the use of light to highlight the transparency.
                      The baculite if you want to preserve without harming remember the clear fingernail polish.
                      It can be removed easily. Just do not touch the stone with the polish.
                      It will highlight the colors of the shell and makes it a little more presentable
                      when others handle it.
                      The shell can be fragile and handling it can do damage.
                      The two metoicoceras, the one that will not stand up is the one you may want to consider removing the remaining stone and having it silver wire wrapped.
                      That size is ideal for a necklace piece especially when you go to fossil shows. Fossilmania is coming up in Late October be ready!!!!
                      Jess B.
                      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                      Circa:1982

Comment

I broke the best piece...........bummed doesn't even begin to explain  :sick:

Comment

I am totally blaming myself for this...I tried to force it...was trying to work while annoyed...and frustrated....it didn't have my full attention and focus...I broke it.....I cried...

Comment

Oh Cathy, that just stinks! Don't beat yourself up too bad, stuff happens.    Now get the glue out and do your best to meke repairs.
                            Southern Connecticut

Comment

Very nice Cathy, sorry about the broken one ! Amazing colors when backlit !

Comment

Working...
                              X