Pipe stem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe stem?

Hello everyone, here's the last piece i found. I think its a pipe stem made out of local clay. I think it was native made and not a trade pipe due to the material and bowls ive seen on the internet. I broke a small section off cleaning the sand inside it but glued it back. Any input on age?

Actually,  I think it's an oblong bead for a necklace instead of a pipe stem...

Comment

Never thought of that but it makes sense. Thanks again. I found it in a creek, historically my area had miami, potawatomi, sauk, fox and illinos with shifting tribal boundries besides the pre contact people. Any input where it might fit in?

Comment

It's an eroded section from a fossilized crinoid stem (the "columnal"). You can see one of the branching points (arrowed):

Here's some typical example from Texas, some of which show the branching points more clearly:

[pic from nautiloid.net]
        These things were often used as beads, but without context we'll never know.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks but its not stone so i wonder. You can see all the different size grains and when i broke it cleaning it you could really see the grains inside. Sorry i cant zoom in any closer for better photos

Comment

Stasdab wrote:

Thanks but its not stone so i wonder. You can see all the different size grains and when i broke it cleaning it you could really see the grains inside. Sorry i cant zoom in any closer for better photos
              I think you'll find it is stone. Sandstone. That's what's replaced the decayed organic material.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Roger is correct. My first thought was fossil as well, but I wasn't sure due to the erosion.
              Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone

Comment

Working...
                X