Bone tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone tool?

I found something interesting today. It caught my eye because it looked like a shark tooth, but I'm too far from the ocean for that. Is this just a bone fragment or a tool? Thanks for the help. I'm in Western South Carolina.

Jeff - Don't rule out finding shark's teeth just because you're located inland.  Thousands of years ago the ocean was a lot further inland than you'd imagine.  They have found fossils of sea creatures in Oklahoma.     I think you're right tho - it kinda looks more like a bone that is worn down to the nub but it doesn't look too old. ---Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Ahh I dont think it is. Ive found these before. Not sure what part of the skeleton its from but I think its some part of a bison? Maybe part of the foot. I dont know.
      I dont think its a tool though. I may be wrong. Just my opinion

Kenny

Comment

Thanks for the opinions.  My first thought was a bone fragment chewed on by a coyote or a dog, but the way its smoothed made me wonder.  I did find some good points today that I will post pics of soon.  I found these on a new deer hunting lease I just picked up.  Always a bonus when I can bowhunt and arrowhead hunt on the same land.

Comment

Jeff, Deer hunting and arrowhead hunting is the american dream isn't it? Just got blessed with an end of March snow dusting of 2 inches here in NE Ohio. I am more anxious than a nun in cucumber patch to get out and start looking, this weather is killing me!!!

Comment

"A nun in a cucumber patch" I Love that one!!!! I got the next three days off for hunting and still too much snow and sicker than a dog. Gotta love it!

Comment

Deer toe bone.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

thanks. that's it. Makes sense because this was found near an area where the previous hunting club cleaned their deer.  I've cleaned a lot of deer in my life, but I've never taken the hoof off to see the bone underneath.

Comment

Working...
                X