What are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these?

Can anyone tell me what they think these are? Also, any idea where they are from.? They came with a story but I am not sure how accurate the information was. Any insights are appreciated, thanks!

Not native American for sure. Middle east oil lamps maybe?

Comment

Need something for scale .but they look like beads. Can't tell much need more pics of the bottom would help and is the hole all the way through . Look like myan ,Mexico art

Comment

I agree with TT, not Native American. How large are they? By the way, Welcome to the forum  :welcome:
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

they look like dresser nobs! fancy ones!
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Thank you for your input, here is another pic. The holes do go through. Mexico was part of the story, though I keep trying image searches and I can't find anything like it. I was told they were for making designs with dye, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-11-03 [replaced].jpg
Views:	38
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	214675

Comment

They are not for dye I live here in the southwest 45miles from Mexico and they are old I have a friend and he will know for sure I have seen some of the same ones you have different designs it would be hard to match the exact pat but I will post what they are tonight let me make some calls  and like the others said not native . Post latter thanks for sharing .

Comment

Thank you, Why not. I really appreciate it.

Comment

I saw something similar on here before, think they were used for making yarn or thread?  Maybe Painshill will know...

Comment

They look like spindle whorls to me:

I don’t recognise the design, but most cultures used them to weight the wooden spindle used for spinning thread from fibres:

Although that was their simple functional purpose, for many cultures they had significance beyond that usage. They are often elaborately decorated and were used as beads and also as a medium of currency. They’re also frequently found as grave goods in status burials.
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thank you painshill -and- JR, they definitely look closer to spindle whorls than anything else. Do you have any idea where they may be from? I believe it is California or Mexico from the history I was given, but as I have said before, I took that story with a grain of salt. I did a google search and have yet to find any that are close to the pattern. It also looks like the images online are of artifacts that are realy worn. This makes me look at the ones I have and wonder, are mine really old and in great condition or are they not very old and in poor condition? lol Any other resources you think might be helpful for my research? Thank you again.

Comment

Painshill hit the nail on the head Aztec Mayan bead spindle whorl and Mexico is probably where it came from usually done in jade again painshill is on the money grave goods. Sorry took so long. Why not

Comment

Research Mexico they have good examples under excavated Mayan Aztec artifacts.

Comment

Pinterest.com they have a few that look like yours

Comment

Are they stone or clay?
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X