Large Greenstone Axe Pre-Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Greenstone Axe Pre-Form

Here’s an interesting item collected in Derbyshire in the UK. It’s a big axe preform or “rough-out” from the Neolithic period, circa 3,000BC. I haven’t seen one quite this large before.
    This material is very specific to the Langdale Valley in Cumbria, principally at a place known as the Pike of Stickle (a “pike” is a kind of mountain peak). There, a narrow vein of this apparently special material runs through the volcanic bedrock. It’s a metamorphosed “greenstone” – a hard, fine-grained, epidotised tuff. It’s a lot greener than it looks in the pics… it’s overcast here today.

So, this item was found well over 100 miles from the origin of its material. I refer to it as a special material since a Neolithic axe factory was in operation where the material is found, despite the remote location and the unstable, inaccessible nature of the terrain. Here’s a pic of the scree slope at the site:

Frost-shattered material lies everywhere and the scree includes many flakes and “reject” axes, although it is now illegal to remove anything from the site.
    Preforms and finished tools – especially axes – were traded from this site all over Britain and into continental Europe. They generally have a tapered profile which suggests that they were intended to be transverse-hafted through a holed stave. We can be sure this is a preform and not a finished hand-axe since this prestigious material was invariably polished after knapping. The evidence suggests that these polished axes were high status items - they frequently have an extremely high finish, but show little or no evidence of having been used and are sometimes found in contexts that suggest placement as an offering.
    This looks very much like a pot-lid fracture but I can’t imagine that heat-treating this material would improve its knapping characteristics:

Frost can create these kinds of fractures too, so I guess it’s probably frost damage.
    Painshill
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Roger,
    I hadn't thought about what damage frost could do to rocks. Only on my flowers if I'm too late removing the frost before the sun burns them! Thanks for the knowledge! Sandy

Comment

Bears a slight resemblance to the piece I showed not too long ago. I believe you mentioned mine may have been an axe preform also.  Yours is lacking a bird though. :whistle:   
      Very interesting, Roger.  I like it! I can see the preparation and the material is cool.
      Pam

Comment

Of course it's overcast, Roger. You're in England ! Nice preform axe, got any pix of the finished ones ?

Comment

Pictures, yes... but regrettably I don't own any of these. This would be pretty typical:

[pic from Portable Antiquities Scheme Website]
          Here's a museum reconstruction of the hafting method. The axe blade is original:

[pic from Modern Antiquarian website]
          And this one is interesting. It has seen heavy use, which is moderately unusual, but also must have been rechipped and resharpened and probably on more than one occasion. It's way too short for the customary style. Clearly whoever used it valued it enough to hang onto it. Considering how hard the material is, there's a huge amount of work involved in getting this degree of polish:

[pic by The Weaver of Grass, Creative Commons license]
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Awesome thks for showing

Comment

I have one of these axes

Comment

hear are some pics of my langdale greenstone axe it was found close to the river thames and is my best axe in my collection I think these are known as cumbrian clubs when there this size and shape with the facets on the sides

Comment

I also have many other British neolithic and even mesolithic axes if anybody would like too see them just drop me a line .cheers lads

Comment

Hi Lee, and welcome to the forum. I'm not so far away from you, in Surrey and - up till now - have been the "token Brit" on the forum.
                    That's a really nice Langdale example. Let's see them others, please!
                    Roger

Comment

That's a real beauty Bowden!
                      Roger, maybe this is a little closer to the color of your axe preform?

Is the difference in a grooveless axe and a celt simply the size? I've seen NA axe's dredged up from lake bottoms that were still hafted (and probably grooveless) in the same manner.
                      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Yeah, that's green :blink:  :sick:  but the actual colour probably lies somewhere between the way it pictured on an overcast day and what you've adjusted it to.
                        The essential difference between a celt and an axe is related to shape, and the degree to which that makes them suitable for particular tasks. Either can be grooved or grooveless. For a celt, the poll and the bit (at opposing ends) are approximately the same thickness and the cutting efficiency relies on the sharp angle of the bit. For an axe, the poll end is thick and tapers to a significantly thinner bit end such that the tool is wedge-shaped in profile. The more massive poll on an axe gives more “heft” to the cutting edge such that a greater force is directed through the blade.
                        Although there are other theories, it’s generally believed that (in Europe), the term “celt” is the result of a copying error in mediaeval texts. In the late 16th Century, the Latin phrase in the Vulgate Bible “stylo ferreo, et plumbi lamina, vel certe sculpantur in silice” was transcribed with the word “certe” mis-spelled as “celte”.
                        The original text translates as “Let it indeed be carved with an iron pen on a plate of lead or in stone”, with the word “certe” meaning “indeed”. The error whereby that word was replaced with the (non-existent) word “celte” led later scholars to believe that a “celte” was some kind of ancient chisel and the term was ultimately adopted by 18th Century archaeologists to describe stone and bronze tools from prehistoric sites which had a sharp angled chisel-like blade.

Comment

I've 'cooled' my previous photo down a bit.. 
                          Good explanation in the differences between the axe and celt - appreciate it!
                          If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Welcome Lee. Wow another Brit!
                            Please do share.
                            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

ok well hears some axes in my collection I also have many flint tools but mainly collect just axes there mainly English just one Danish

but this is one of my best that wasnt in the colletion when the photo was done

does anybody hear collect british stone age tools or axes ?

Comment

Working...
                              X