Hafted Adz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hafted Adz

My dad gave this to me and I believe it came from Papua New Guinea. Thought you all might enjoy it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200918_220950599~2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	495382
    Attached Files
    South Carolina

Nice collector piece
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Very well made piece, not all that different from N/A stuff.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Thanks willjo. It's crazy to think that folks still live in the stone age.
        South Carolina

Comment

Cool piece that stone looks long
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Very cool! What material was used to haft you think? Looks kinda reedy in pic, but prob’ly leather, yes?
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
              Narrow Way Knapper commented
              Editing a comment
              I should also mention, that leather is not used very often in tropical climates. It mildews and rots. Cotton, certain kinds of tree bark and palm fiber are used instead.

I think it's the cane used in wicker work. Not exactly sure though.

The handle is pretty unique, because it is a tree branch and the part where the hafting occurs is trunk wood/branch collar zone. It's all one piece of wood.
            South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              I knew it! I have big, funky black piece furniture dad sent me from some island somewhere, looks just like hafting. That sucker weighs a gazillion tons even tho it’s one-tenth size of huge solid cherry wardrobe! Humans are industrious and clever, and know how to make do with what they’ve got!

Very cool piece, appreciate the share.
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Originally posted by Narrow Way Knapper View Post
              Thanks willjo. It's crazy to think that folks still live in the stone age.
              If some cataclysm ever caused the collapse of modern civilization, those are the people most likely to survive to carry on our species. I hope such tribes always survive. In the Amazon, we see the conflict begun by Columbus and colonization never really ended, it is still ongoing. That in itself is amazing.

Very nice tool! My father-in-Law was gifted some items from a Polynesian chieftain during WWII. Among them, a black wood cane inset with mother of pearl.
              Rhode Island

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe it’s matching piece to what Dad sent me (w/o mother of Pearl, unfortunately...)

Cool item. And a perfect illustration that 'Stone Age' really has no meaning in a temporal sense unless also considered in relation to a particular region of the world.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

A series of old, long, not in English documentaries on how these adzes were made and used:

https://www.canal-u.tv/video/cerimes/la ... lisee.8582

https://www.canal-u.tv/video/cerimes/la ... aille.8716

https://www.canal-u.tv/video/cerimes/ye ... uinee.8535

https://www.canal-u.tv/video/cerimes/la ... uinee.8557
                Central Virginia

Comment

• oldrocks2
                  oldrocks2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the postings. Amazing work but the proximity of spalls being driven off and his privates makes me cringe.
              Working...
              X