Mongolian Neolithic, & transference of technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongolian Neolithic, & transference of technology

One of my goals is to have an arrowhead (or lithic tool) from every country that has them, I doubt I'll get there, but it's been fun trying and searching.
    Mongolia, Kazahkstan and other parts of Central Asia were tough to get, but eventually it turned into several thousand points, cores and bladelets.
    The transference of technology portion of the post isn't ancient, it's that I posted these a while back and some guys from a modern flint knapping board found them and rediscovered the lost technology. The link is to paleoplanet.
    Mongolian Quad Tips Link
    Quad Tips- It's pretty rare to see something completely unique on a point, there are only so many ways to notch, flute, thin, and make a tip. So far I haven't found any other group that consistently burinated four edges of the tip to make a very sharp quad tip.

Plate Chalcedony-
    Like the Badlands of the Dakotas, Nebraska and parts of Canada, the Badlands of Mongolia has a lot of plate chalcedony.

Compound pieces-
    One of the cool things is that the climate allows for some great preservation on late neolithic pieces. It's a very cool way to utilize small material to get a long edge, and probably allowed for tools to be repaired easily.

The flaking on this piece shows through from both sides, giving it a very appealing quality.

Both peices.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

My eye candy frame.

They developed FOG (flake over grind) flaking before modern knappers and before ancient Egyptians.
    These points are thinner than a folsom.  They would polish a flake, flake it, and then polish off the high spots.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

The flaking on that compound piece is just amazing! Those Chalcedony points are beautiful too. Thanks for the show.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

The Chalcedony points are spectacular ! Wow !

Comment

Extraordinary eye candy! Quad tips are cool.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Man what a thread this is an awesome show. Thank you Clovisoid for the pics.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks Joshua,
              It is amazing that no other culture developed a quad tip! A simple and plausible idea.
              Like the others, the Chalcedony is beautiful.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

WOW! Can I fit in your suitcase and travel there? B) Very impressive! Now this was well worth getting back today to see this, as well as well as having a problem member disposed of. Thanks for sharing!
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Eye candy is right! Those are awesome Joshua!
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

Wonderful collection-
                    Thanks for the info. and show!
                    Sandy

Comment

Working...
                    X