Core Blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core Blades

Just a random picture of some bladelet cores from Mongolia, Inner Mongolia, etc.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Joshua, that is a mass of cores. This is a different technology than used here in the Americas. Could you please expand on what the members are looking at, and how the bladelets were used. Those are very cool and I have seen a few. Thanks for sharing.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Here is a thread that went over this about a year ago.

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Very similar to Hopewell haystack cores..Some beautiful material in there.

Comment

That is any amazing array. Thanks for sharing those.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Chase, thank you posting up that link, that is a PhD level course in core blade technology right there.
            I just posted these because they are colorful and I love cores.  Similar technology existed in several parts of the world at different times, it is about the most efficient way of getting inches of cutting edge from a small piece of material.  There was a display at one of the museums in Mexico that illustrated it well.  Two similar chunks of obsidian, one produced a 6 inch biface with 12 inches of cutting edge (both edges.)  A core made from the same size produced 60 5 to 6 inch bladelets or about 720 strait inches of cutting edge.  (Obviously they didn't count the waste flakes from the biface, but it is still very efficient.)
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

clovisoid wrote:

Just a random picture of some bladelet cores from Mongolia, Inner Mongolia, etc.
                Neat picture ...some of those cores have the appearance of being high quality stuff.

Comment

Great explanation Joshua, it is a very efficient use of material. Those cores are neat, love seeing your stuff from different parts of the globe. The Mongolian points you posted at one point were killer! Awesome lithics with exceptional flaking. Thanks for posting!
                Southern Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                X