No announcement yet.

What is this really weird looking face.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this really weird looking face.

Hello,
    I have found something that I can't identify and would like some professional help from everyone please.
    Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0485 [replaced].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	218023

This one belongs in international artifacts in my honest opinion. Not sure it is even old but moving it over to get Roger to look it over.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

OK I can get you some different pictures of it if you need some it is suppose to be red jade as I was told by another person but not sure it is some kind of stone though.And is beautiful piece to look at holding it in your hand.

Comment

Hi Dave
        Some indication of what “found” means might have been helpful, but unless there is some compelling provenance to suggest otherwise, it looks to me like a representation of an Asiatic dance mask, which I would say is of dubious antiquity. Ebay is knee-deep in these kinds of pendants – mostly originating from China, Thailand and Indonesia (notably Bali) – which are mostly very recent and typically sell for under $10.

True jade (ie jadeite and nephrite) occurs in green, lavender, pinkish-red, yellow-brown, white and black but most of what is called “red jade” is carnelian agate… and that’s what it looks like. True jade that’s brighter red has normally been heat-treated to improve the colour and tends to have reduced translucence. Bright red and translucent normally means it’s dyed quartz/quartzite. I recently posted some info on how you can tell if a stone is true jade here:

"This piece was found in four foot of water in Marshall county Indiana..In lake Maxinkuckee down in culvert! It was an ax that was turned into a pendant

… but it’s kind of academic since I honestly don’t think that would improve its potential value very much or suggest greater antiquity.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hello,
          This item was found while metal detecting in a field in Lee county, Ms. It was unearthed while digging up a musket ball and there it was in the dirt. The field has several indian mounds located on it as well as some old house places but you can only tell it by the old stones from the chimneys scattered around. I was told that this is myan origin by another collector and that he has never seen a red one like this all he has seen are green and came from south america. I can send some more pictures and maybe scan it in for a closer look if needed to help identify it.

Comment

I have seen that exact carving in bins fresh from China. Chase Pipes sells them at most of the big shows, as does the Smoky Mt Knifeworks in TN. They are modern Chinese export art, no more.

Comment

Well, I guess a chinese must have thrown it into that field huh? Who knows it might really be the real deal and thats what I think!!!

Comment

It's not Chinese, Asian, North American, or any other specific culture, or from any specific region. It's a carnelian maskette, carved from someones imagination of what would look neat as a pendant. Nothing wrong with the piece, it would make a nice pendant. But it isn't very old, not an artifact. Someone probably lost it in the field, and you were the lucky guy who found it. Wear it, it might bring you good luck!
                http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

It is not Mayan, Native American or old. If a Chinese threw it in that field it was done quite recently because it has no patina that would indicate age.
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Working...
                  X