Where do these fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do these fit?

I've been trying to get some insight into these for a while now so would welcome your thoughts please.
    The background is that on a local farm I've found these before and thought little of them but now they seem to have caught my eye.
    The first piece with the scale bar was from a couple of years ago and discounted by a 'knowledgeable' person. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where I've put it.

The three together are all from the same farm (Surrey - southern England). In simple terms they have a No. 6 shape viewed from the dorsal side and I've not found any that 'curve' in the other direction. Largest is 30mm long.

The last and larger one in hand is not mine but was posted on another forum and comes from about 150 miles away (Norfolk).

They all have several flake scars on the dorsal side but nothing of note on the ventral other than bulb and ripples. All are struck from the wider end. Either these are designed lithics or struck off as part of another process. All thoughts are welcome.

I've considered whether they are a form of piercer or piercer blank but I can't get folks past the "they must have two retouched edges coming together" position.

Thanks for the help. Chris​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DaveP; 11-20-2023, 01:17 PM.

Hey Dave, Those are beautiful reduction flakes. That's some real good chert.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
      Hey Dave, Those are beautiful reduction flakes. That's some real good chert.
      Thanks Ron,
      They seem to be biased (size) to the right of the bulb when viewed from the dorsal side (or left from the ventral). Are you saying this is typical of reduction flakes like this? I haven't found any similar pieces (size and shape) biased the other way. This is what has got me curious.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Dave, I get reduction flakes that are all kinds of shapes.
    Working...
    X