Scraper or dual tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraper or dual tool

This is a recent find from Surrey (UK) about 25 miles south of London.
    The site is mainly late Neo - early BA and has returned a number of scrapers of different forms. However, this one stands out from the rest and appears to have two functional ends (scraper and point) and longitudinal symmetry. Length is 36mm and a beautiful black colour.
    Any thoughts on the form are most welcome.
    Chris
    Attached Files

Hey Chris! Great pictures!

How thick is it? Pictures taken from the sides and front and back would be very helpful in answering you question(s)

Comment

Jon,
      I'll take more pictures tomorrow with better light (nearly 10pm here). It will also take a bit of effort to set up properly. Its 5mm thick just behind the scraper edge retouch and ~11mm behind the point. The edge retouch is not unusual in depth compared to some other pieces but this just looks to be either a higher skill level or benefitting from the better material.
      The attached shows the ventral side. Orientation is scraper edge at the top. The initial bulb is off centre but the piece appears to have been worked to give symmetry.
      Attached Files

Comment

Preform?

Comment

A couple more pictures. Apologies for the depth of field but taken on my phone.
          Attached Files

Comment

The pointy end could just be the way it broke off the core. I don’t see any pressure flaking. However I suppose it could have been used as an engraver. Nice little scraper in my opinion.
            South Dakota

Comment

Thanks for the updated pictures!

Yes it is a nice scrapper. Is it Neolithic in age Chris?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon E. Busch View Post
                Thanks for the updated pictures!

Yes it is a nice scrapper. Is it Neolithic in age Chris?
                Thanks Jon. The problem with pinning down the date is the lack of context with fieldwalking and surface finds. The site has finds characteristic of Neo - EBA but that could span a considerable period so I'm afraid it's a bit of a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
                  The pointy end could just be the way it broke off the core. I don’t see any pressure flaking. However I suppose it could have been used as an engraver. Nice little scraper in my opinion.
                  I just feel it has some symmetry but more to the point (sorry), the pointy end would be in the way or just sharp unless it had an intended use. IF the scraper was used in the hand then I would be inclined to remove the point unless I really wanted it there. But then that's my view in 2023 and not >3000 years ago.
                  Last edited by DaveP; 11-23-2023, 02:34 AM.

Comment

You wait ages for a bus and then two come along at the same time. I've been back through all the scrapers, and bits of scrapers, I have from two local sites and none have the point. Searching on line hasn't, so far, shown anything similar. But then a post on here from your side of the pond has a scraper of the same general outline shape https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...t-possible-but
                    Attached is the picture from that post. So the question now becomes "is this a common scraper form or a subset?"

Thanks, Chris
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by DaveP; 11-23-2023, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X