Matsés Spear from Peru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matsés Spear from Peru

This Matsés spear has been hanging on my grandparents wall for as long as I can remember. The spear is made of a black palm wood. The butt end of the spear was typically used for hunting peccary and could pin the animal to the ground. The broad head of the spear is of one piece with the shaft and would have been used for war/raiding other villages. My dad mentioned that the Matsés used the longest arrows and spears that he had seen in Peru. Their name means “Cat people” because they would stick long pieces of bamboo in their noses to give them the appearance of having cat whiskers.
    South Carolina

For some reason I couldn’t figure out how to make the picture larger. Oh, there we go!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	722467
    South Carolina

Comment

Here’s an article that talks about the first missionary to make contact with the Matsés people: http://www.amazon-indians.org/03-mis...et-fields.html
      South Carolina

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        A very brave Lady!

Awesome Spear Caleb! Can you imagine the time that would go into making a spear like that?!! WOW
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
        Narrow Way Knapper commented
        Editing a comment
        There are several types of palms that have the black palm wood and they all have lots of long, sharp thorns on their trunks. So, just getting past the thorns would have taken a while. 😬

That is one wicked looking sticker.

Comment

Working...
      X