Dont let The Stain Fool You, its a Local Lithic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont let The Stain Fool You, its a Local Lithic

Throughout The Country Artifacts that end up in Creeks and Rivers pick up minerals that change the outer shade of The Material. Here is A Burlington (white/creamy material usually) Point that shows this, theres a chip revealing the true shade.
    I have a few more points that also have this stain, some darker than others.

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Posted by [GarScale]:

Its amazing how much the environment changes coloration of stone. I have found both pieces of several ancient brokes that were such drastically different colors that I almost didn't try them.

Comment

Josh, creek stain can turn a plain lithic into something colorful!  Good example.
      Gar, you deserve a prize for not giving up with that last piece.  I would have never tried to fit them together even if they were found inches apart.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

clovisoid wrote:

Josh, creek stain can turn a plain lithic into something colorful!  Good example.
        Gar, you deserve a prize for not giving up with that last piece.  I would have never tried to fit them together even if they were found inches apart.
        Posted by [GarScale]:

They were found months apart and probably 150ft. I was admiring the unusual Cody style from this site and figuring both artifacts were made by the same knapper, when I happened to turn them the right way and they FIT! They were in my hand 30 minutes and I hadn't even considered they were the same artifact. Since then, I have pieced several others that I would have never even tried had this not happened. Case in point, the Wells in the first pic.

Comment

Just my opinion but it doesn't look like the two pieces in the first pic. are the same point. :dunno:

Comment

Bolen Bevel 1 wrote:

Just my opinion but it doesn't look like the two pieces in the first pic. are the same point. :dunno:
            Posted by [GarScale]:

They are though. It appears he broke it while resharpening it as there is a chunk missing that origionated at the edge. It actually has a zigzag in the middle of the break that matches perfectly as well as flake scars match perfectly except where the piece is missing. The second pic is the same point Im holding up to the sun.

Comment

Working...
            X