Petrified Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrified Wood

I have turned up a few petrified wood artifacts in my adventures. My question is what is the difference between petrified wood and agatized wood? I have found some petrified wood that looks like your typical wood. Then I have found some that looks like a high grade flint and its hard to even tell that it is a type of petrified wood. Thanks for any help. Pictures would be a plus. Chris

Chris
    Some ancient wood escaped the natural process of decay by being buried in sediments or volcanic ash. In some cases, dissolved minerals seeped into the cellular voids and crystallized. The most common minerals were calcite or silica (SiO2 silicon dioxide). When the cells of the wood have been replaced by the latter, they are said to be silicified or converted into silica. The result is commonly called "petrified" or "agatized" wood. 
      A variety known as Texas Palm Wood is found from San Antonio to East Texas. Its the sate rock of Texas.
    Jack

Comment

So, if I am reading that post right Jack, that means they are the same thing?

Comment

Chris
        Yes they are the same thing, just one is better looking than the other, or one is more pure in make up.
        Petrified wood occurs with three major ingredients: wood, water, and mud consisting mainly of volcanic ash.
        The petrification process occurs under packed mud when wood is buried under silicate sediment low in oxygen. This environment keeps the fallen logs from rapid decomposition. Mineral-rich water flowing over volcanic ash deposits minerals into the plant’s cells and replaces the cellulose with quartz (SiO2), turning the wood to stone. The original structure of the wood is preserved down to a microscopic level. Because of this intensity in detail, one can observe and conclude what conditions, landscape, and climate might have been like hundreds of years ago.
        How long the petrification process takes is based more on conditions such as pH levels and temperature rather than time.
        Petrified wood comes in a variety of different shades. Pure quartz is colorless, but when impurities or additional elements are present the mineral takes on various tints of different colors.
        Petrified wood on the Mohs hardness scale is the same as quartz which is #7, Diamond is #10, so its pretty hard. Quartz is harder than steel.
        Jack

Comment

Here are some pictures of some of the better petrified wood artifacts I have found on this site. I have also found a lot of real crude knives and scrappers. I have most if the in a bucket still at my site. Some day I'm going to bring out the 3 five gallon buckets of material I have dug it. It will make some nice flower beds.        

Comment

This is just a really cool piece that I dug up last time i was at my site. It's not worked, but it had a point with it not a inch away. So mabey the Indians liked it and brought it in with them. It has crystals all she way around it. It sparkles like a piece of jewelry. The pictures don't do it justice. 

Comment

Looks like sandtone. Neat.
              Jack

Comment

On parts of that last rock, u can see the wood grain. Mabey it was petrified in a area with an excessive amount of quartz and it started growing out of it. I really dunno. Just a guess. I have never found another rock that looked like it.   Chris

Comment

Nice stuff Chris, don't get to see petrified wood around here.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Chris, you have managed to collect more petrified wood pieces than I have seen in my lifetime!! That is to cool, never found a chunk of petrified wood here in Ohio. A collection I bought from Al. years ago had a few chunks in it but at most it would have been used for a scraper if that. Great stuff Chris-Bill

Comment

In eastern WA, there are places that you can't put your foot down without stepping on agatized wood. I am surprised that there are so few artifacts made of it. Perhaps it didn't work well.

Comment

Nice points Chris, Jack thanks for the information
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I really enjoyed learning that Jack. I never knew the process of wood to stone. And for the points they look really nice and I would like to see those crude knifes and scrapers if you dont mind. I find alot of crude items that most wont pick up. But if it has a flaking on it it goes home with me. I found a crude knife with a handle on it last week. idk the name of it but I call it a skinning knife or butcher knife. Its cool cause it is made from one piece of quartz blade then a handle to hold it with. I uploaded some pics to my profile. If you look and know what it is called please let me know. Thanks

Comment

Here's some pet wood from New Mexico. Glad to see this thread I always wondered what the differences were between agatized and petrified.

And a couple pieces from Arizona

Comment

Love seeing this from other states! P-wood is one of my fav materials! Don't much about it, but I like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X