No announcement yet.

Some interesting Central Mass materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice points you have there, I love the Neville variant.  I assumed my broken base point was a Stark as the shoulders are narrow and small.  I probably have a dozen with bases broken off the same way, odd that some trauma would snap the base and not the delicate tips.  Could they have snapped them off on purpose? 
    Most Starks I've found have been quartzite, and some type of argillite.  Much of the quartzite was local as I've found lots of the outer surfaces of water worn cobbles broken open for use.

Comment

Here's another interesting lithic from that same site.  The remaining piece of this Neville measures about 1 3/4" - sure wish this one was whole.......

Comment

Yeah, that's the same material as a point I posted to one of your threads couple days ago, but with just a slightly different shade of the reddish areas. Don't know what it is, but it must be one of the felsites. It's very attractive and I've mostly seen only flakes of it. Have you seen my "owl point"? Made of Hingham Felsite from south of Boston. Here it is, I think your base is a related felsite. Just a hunch. I have a friend from Martha's Vineyard who knows all the local/regional materials. I'll ask him some time what he thinks that is. We see it down here too. Maybe not a 100% match, but something very close to that. That is a heartbreaker, but still a nice find!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-02-09-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	109
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	204652
        Rhode Island

Comment

Actually, I posted the similar material earlier in this thread, not another thread. Sorry bout that. Is the last Neville the same material as the 4th flake from left in the first photo of the thread? That is the material we find many flakes of SE of you.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Yeah, I thought it might be same material as the 4th flake from left in the first photo.  It's the only artifact that I've found of that material.  Here's the only nice complete point of Hingham Felsite that I found.  I have a few broken pieces but haven't really seen to much Hingham Felsite in my search areas.  I like the way that the color -and- pattern of both sides of the point can look so different.

Comment

Alan, did somebody identify that as Hingham Felsite for you? I would never have guessed based on the appearance.
              Rhode Island

Comment

An old timer who is now gone told me that it was.  Of course, he might have been wrong, and I've been under the false assumption that it was.  Someday I'd like to sit down with a lithic expert and a pile of my stones and learn a few things.  I have as many questions as I have artifacts......

Comment

clambellies wrote:

An old timer who is now gone told me that it was.  Of course, he might have been wrong, and I've been under the false assumption that it was.  Someday I'd like to sit down with a lithic expert and a pile of my stones and learn a few things.  I have as many questions as I have artifacts......
                    Yeah, I wish I were actually "fluent" in our regional lithics. I just noticed I started a thread to show Hingham Felsite a few months ago. The thread included all the examples I had up till then. It is often described as "Hingham Red Felsite", so I think, in this instance, the old timer in question was mistaken.
                  From a 1936 article, "The Hingham Red Felsite Boulder Train" comes this description of this colorful felsite. Hingham is located a short distance SE of Boston,...

Well, this flake of what I believe is Hingham does have some grey areas in it......

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                  X