Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know what it is but it beautiful

I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

I don't know what it is either. My question is why do you post this and what would you wish us to say about it? I think, in my rock collecting times I would have found hundreds if not thousands of rock chips that you displayed. There are many, many puzzling rocks, stones, and  parts of thereof, that we find, Most of these little bitty puzzles will never reveal themselves to us. Hopefully some one will give you the answer that you would like to have.

Comment

i have a jar full of those also lithic flakes just stone age trash or is it a micro blade with a razor sharp edge ? i have one that appears to be touched up like yours  that a i keep apart   from the rest  bottom line is it just tells me your looking in the right place

Comment

Well, I for one think it is one pretty flake. To this day, I still pick them up. I have coffee cans full of flakes from sites.
        Also, the top pic, the top edge on your index finger, that looks like it may be worked!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Looks like it may be Chalcedony,  usually has a waxy luster. I agree it is beautiful stuff, when I find a flake of a nice material like this it's always exciting, I mean could you imagine finding a whole point made out of that?  :woohoo: Thanks for showing it!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Looks like broken base to me. Beautiful material
            east Tx.

Comment

sailorjoe wrote:

I don't know what it is either. My question is why do you post this and what would you wish us to say about it? I think, in my rock collecting times I would have found hundreds if not thousands of rock chips that you displayed. There are many, many puzzling rocks, stones, and  parts of thereof, that we find, Most of these little bitty puzzles will never reveal themselves to us. Hopefully some one will give you the answer that you would like to have.
                I too have found hundreds of flakes...if you notice I posted in learn about lithic materials  I was not saying it was anything at all but nice material....if you don't like it say nothing if you do say what you want. I thought this piece was nice......glad you found 1000 of them I have not
              I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

jeffrey, I did not say the lithic was not beautiful, which it is. And I in no way meant to demean your find. And I appreciate very much the thrill when one finds an artifact whether beautiful or not. (After all, as they say "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"). I only meant in perhaps an offhanded way to say-OK now what? There really is not much that you show to make any diagnosis. So  I did not, nor do I still not, know what is is that you would like us to say about the chip other than it is a real dandy piece or material. And BTW I would love, love.love to find a big ol Dalton made out of that stuff. And if I'm not the guy  to find one like that then I wish that you would.

Comment

That's some beautiful material just as you said. Worked a little too. Maybe a small scraper or cutting piece of some kind.

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

Looks like it may be Chalcedony,  usually has a waxy luster. I agree it is beautiful stuff, when I find a flake of a nice material like this it's always exciting, I mean could you imagine finding a whole point made out of that?  :woohoo: Thanks for showing it!
                    That, or novaculite or maybe burlington. Whichever source is closest to you. :dunno:  :laugh:
                    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

im thinking,because the one edge does look to be worked,that it is/was a scraper
                      also leaning towards chalcedony,doesnt look like novaculite or burlington to me
                      at least none that i have ever seen before  :dunno:

Comment

I would have picked that up in a heart beat.It's either a base or a scraper or both.Here in Maine I pick up any lIthics that are new to me...mjm

Comment

It does look like a worked flake but that is some very high grade material.
                          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Mt bet is chalcedony. I have one point made of the clear and red. It isnt a big 6" dalton, it is a little Big sandy. But it will do this ole arrowhead hunter jest fine thank you. I bet you want to see a picture of it. I knew you did. It is number 4. :rolf:

Comment

I love to see different lithics and that is awesome material.  Many with more knowledge than me have responded and not suggested this but it reminds me of a gunflint.

Comment

Working...
                              X