Big Bend - Native American Quarry - Ledger Chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bend - Native American Quarry - Ledger Chert

These are pictures of a native rock quarry that is on a piece of land I used to own in Big Bend its about 300 ft up the south side of Black Mesa which has a large volcanic blowout on the north side. This area was once a shallow sea and this ledge of chert is held in place by limestone. The volcanic activity lifted the limestone bedrock up. There are large hammer stones near the outcropping and you can see where the natives were knocking out pieces, down below on level ground is an area that is covered with flakes, where the natives either flaked the material into preforms or points.
    Ledger Chert

Picture taken from quarry looking down on the rock pile to the left where flakes are found.

Jack

That is interesting.  Are you one of the three?

Comment

Huntsman, no I am the one taking the picture.
      Jack

Comment

Nice photos, like to see some of the West. Only there for short visits no enough time to get out!
        Butch

Comment

Butch
          I get down to the ranch about 4 times a year. If you want we have a travel trailer with full hook up that you can use, its right next door to the ranch house. We have 200,000 acres of prime Chihuahuan Desert to play on. Big Bend National Park is 15 miles from us and Big Bend State Park is 30 miles from us. 
          Jack

Comment

Thanks Jack, no quarries in my neck of the woods, neat to see. Must be fun playing on 200,000 acres, can't even imagine that.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Greg
              The Terlinguia Ranch is 200,000 acres and as part of the Terlinguia Ranch Association we have 200,000 acres that we have access to, do not own all the 200,000 but do own a lot of land that is part of the ranch. If you are a rock hunter then this place is your heaven.
              Jack

Comment

Those are some great pictures jack thanks for sharing the story too.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That's a lot of Country you got out there!
                  Thanks for sharing,
                  JoeM

Comment

Working...
                  X