No announcement yet.

Southern New England Hornfels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating this old thread because a friend just sent me a hornfels quarry blank collected at the Braintree hornfels quarry in the Blue Hills of Ma. several decades ago. One of our sites in particular has yielded an abundance of this material and we believe Braintree was in fact the source.  A shoreline locale, many of the pieces are polished. I'm updating the thread by posting several more examples of this material from the site.
    First, a hornfels quarry blank:

Braintree hornfels from a coastal RI site...

Jack's Reef Pentagonal:

Best piece:

This one is from Ma. and not a personal find:

Rhode Island

Comment

I found these two pieces a long time ago in a local field (Schoharie Co. NY)... never have seen the material used for any other artifacts. The large piece is what seems to be the 'core' that the smaller point was made from and not a finished tool. They were found a few feet apart. I can't I.D. the point, as it is a pretty generic form. Is this a type of Hornfels do you think? Let me know if you need better photos (this one is from my catalog file).

Comment

Here are two closer photos of the point... one taken in shade and one in the sunlight. I know it can be hard to tell materials from pics, but these might help.

Comment

It does not closely resemble Braintree hornfels. For hornfels in general, I'm no authority. Collected this stuff for years before I knew what it was, in fact. I'd hate to hazard a guess otherwise. Perhaps it's a felsite or a different volcanic. Sorry I could not be more helpful.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for replying. I have so many artifacts that are made of materials I can't recognize... someday I'll get them cataloged correctly.

Comment

Working...
            X