No announcement yet.

Colorful Flakes, What are they?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Colorful Flakes, What are they?

    I'm very new to this but I can pick up a pocket full of this stuff every time I go out. I also find a fair amount of the shiny smooth gray stuff in the second picture. What am I finding and what would it look like to start with?
    Dennis, Cape Girardeau County, MO

  • #2
    I believe both lithics are cryptocrystalline quartz. One of the best and most favored NA tool material. Various "flavors" of this material are named variously. Chert, Flint, Agate, Chalcedony, etc on and on. Then there are even more local names, used in descriptions, with local source and site names (horse creek, alibates). That looks like chert to me, pretty material. The colors are just from the varying mineral content. Sources could be all local or from long distances or mixed. Even colors give this material names, like Jasper and Carnelian. If you are finding "chips" of this you are probably on a site. Look for work on every little piece.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay


    • #3
      My neighbor built a new house on her farm and cut in a new quarter mile lone drive and where the bank was dressed up is full of this stuff, I just can't find any points there yet but a friend found a nice one.
      Dennis, Cape Girardeau County, MO


      • #4
        The stuff with the swirls looks like Missouri state rock Mozarkite

        Keep looking something has to turn up there.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store


        • #5
          Your on a hot spot , lots of reduction flakes .
          may even have a tool in there . Next rain or even now you are sure to find a point good luck hunting ...