Hornfels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornfels?

Hi, everyone. I hope you are all well. Recently I have found many flakes, and two broken points (pictured) made of the same, or similar, material in a concentrated area in a field in central Connecticut. At first glance it looks like basalt, but it has a much finer grain Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200326_105402.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	434106 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200326_105437.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	434107 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200326_105448.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	434108 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200326_105426.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	434109 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200326_105114.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	434110 . Can anyone confirm that this is hornfels? I also included three detail pics of my favorite flake. I love this lithic.

Not that familiar with East Coast lithics and maybe CMD, Hoss or others will be around soon but in the meantime take a look through this section of the site:
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link, Greg. I've checked there before and, as far as I can tell, haven't found this particular lithic posted.

Looks like basalt?
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, Red. Thanks for the comment. I though it was basalt at first too. However, I’ve found basalt in this field and it has a much coarser grain. Though, I think “basalt” can be a general term for several different lithics. Maybe these are two different kinds of “basalt”.

Maybe the lighter colored one in the pic with a quarter but not completely sure.....the darker flakes no. Out of curiosity, any Jacks Reefs in that field? The JR people loved Hornfels as a lithic.....I’m on the Ct shoreline and see Hornfels often...and appears to be very closely related to Jacks Reefs for a preferred lithic.

my guess on the darker flakes is one of the cherts sourcing out of southern NY state.....I see that down here as well.
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      One more interesting characteristic that popped into my head is that these flakes pick up oil from my fingers quite easily and unlike any other lithic I’ve encountered. As a result, they darken quickly with handling.

• cgode
      cgode commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting lithic.....I could be wrong of course and it is hard to say without it in hand looking at pics on line. I’m used to seeing a lighter green hue often with black veins running through it from my experience. If you go to the typology section for the North East you’ll see Jacks Reef listed....I and CMD both have good examples in that section...both made with Hornfels and Jasper.

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      The pictures you’re referring to are one of the reasons that I made this post. Braintree hornfels often appears patinated, correct? And these flakes clearly are not, at least not in the same way. However, if you look at the Braintree hornfels entry on projectilepoints.net, it shows a picture of a broken cobble. From the picture, you can see that the rind is patinated, and the inside looks very similar to these flakes. I would think though, that after lying in a field for this long, these flakes would also show patination.

Looks like its water stained?
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not sure if it’s water stained or not, though it could be because this field lies within the flood plain of a river.
Working...
X