Carter Cave Chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter Cave Chert

I just spent four days at Carter Cave State Park. I put a lot of miles in hiking. One hike was out to Raven Bridge an awesome natural bridge in the park. One area along the trail was absolutely littered with broken chert. Looked like a place where the native people collected cores to fashion tools and points from at a later date. I didn’t do any collecting as to respect park rules and forgot to take a pic. Beautiful park with a lot of history. Great to see such a spot. Thought I’d share the find. I wish I had taken some pics!
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

I wish some chert would have accidentally fell into your pockets, tsk, tsk, tsk, Trav, Trav, Trav, we need to have a talk about point hunter rules...lol.... P.s.,You did the right thing..I tend to break those kinds of laws...
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Thanks Hal. I did do some poking around the streams in the park. I get the feeling they have been thoroughly picked over the years. Got me itching to get back to my regular hunting grounds. I had a great trip though and it’s always good to back out of the rat race for awhile.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Good for you !

Hey Trav, glad to see you were able to enjoy visiting a heavily occupied site of early man. Thanks for sharing.
      North Central Kentucky

Comment

Seeing I'm a collector of such things I just don't put myself into temptation by going to places like that. I will go to a museum but those are under glass.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

You were only a few minutes from where I live! I live really close to Carter Caves, and there is a ton of chert in my fields. It's really small for knapping though.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hi KP. Well that’s a bummer. Would have enjoyed meeting you and maybe doing a quick Kentucky hunt. Your lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country.

Comment

Working...
            X