"Ferrunginous" Onondaga Chert, Maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ferrunginous" Onondaga Chert, Maybe?

I mean "Ferruginous" - iron containing; only looked up the word 5 times.
    There have been some great posts here about NY/PA Onondaga Chert, so I thought I would show an interesting Onondaga Chert blade found in Cayuga County NY, near the Seneca River. Not only does it exhibit some fine secondary flaking around all three sides, and the start of two side notches - I think - but it interests me most because of the red tinge, red coloration that can be seen throughout the piece. In the right light, from the right angle, this reddish tinge can be seen in varying densities throughout most of the piece.

This is definitely not surface iron deposition - it is deeply ingrained in the rock. Does Onondaga Chert have a 'Ferruginous" variant?
    Last edited by Cmcramer; 10-15-2021, 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling!
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

I believe I found at least on of this material. Yours is one beautiful piece for sure. Not sure of the of the corner notches but I'd bet your right. Precious! Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Cmcramer
      Cmcramer commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm not sure about those 'notches' either............
      Last edited by Cmcramer; 10-15-2021, 05:13 PM.

great piece
    Wyoming

Comment

The flaking on that piece is beautiful. Great artifact.
      Central Ohio

Comment

Nice looking blade Cramer. Not sure about the notches...from your pics you may have a piece of Coshocton black, many times upper mercer black will patinate with a red hue and the material has been found in SW New York tho uncommon. I have rarely found Onondaga with that much red in it but it does happen. Either way that's an excellent relic.
        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• Cmcramer
          Cmcramer commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to have your experienced viewpoint. The 'notches' were a reach.....
          Many patches, in various shades of gray, within the body of that blade: sure looks like Onondaga to me. Anyone have a photo of a similar piece to mine?
          Last edited by Cmcramer; 10-15-2021, 05:19 PM.

Maybe a Meadowood blade. Meadowood points have their notches set very low on the blade.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
        X