Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken Muldraugh Ft Payne blade, half heat treated, half not heat treated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Muldraugh Ft Payne blade, half heat treated, half not heat treated?

I found the 2 pieces of this blade years apart in a field in Bullitt Co KY. Many years ago, a friend of mine and I were sifting through broken pieces I had found in the field and he said he thought he found a match. He showed me these 2 pieces. I said no way could these 2 pieces be a match. One piece is red and the other is tan. And so I set the 2 pieces aside and continued sorting through other broken pieces.

After he left, I picked up the 2 pieces and held them together. I was shocked to see the flake scars marry-up on the 2 pieces. The grain of the rock also matched. The 2 pieces were an undeniable match.

My best guess is that the blade was broken in ancient times and the tip was thrown in a fire. Maybe the manufacturer broke it, got mad, and threw it in, who knows. The tip appears to be heat treated Muldraugh Ft Payne while the other piece is not heat treated. Or maybe the soil the 2 pieces of rock marinated in over the last couple thousand years changed their color?

Throughout the rest of my childhood I continued to find a pink/red version of Muldraugh Ft Payne, and other times the tan version. I have read that heat treatment brings out the pink colors.

I'm not a knapper, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Whatever the case, I find it fascinating that 2 pieces of the very same rock could have such a color contrast. If it is due to heat treatment, then this is a great sample to show the difference between heat treated vs not heat treated for this material. If not, then it's pretty cool to see the difference patination can make on the very same rock.

I think it's more likely the cause of the color difference is due to heat treatment. I envision a frustrated knapper tossing the tip into a fire. What do you all think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220630_205543_9306.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	643691Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220630_205226_2732.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	643692Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220630_205234_6092.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	643689Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220630_205453_6870.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	643687

Attached Files

That is such a cool find/finds! Your analysis sounds about right to me.
    South Carolina

Comment

Or maybe the tip got cooked in a chunk of wooly mammoth meat unbeknownst to the hunter?
      South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        👍

No doubt it’s the same stone… I never seen anything like that…. Interesting for sure. Long time exposure to different condition s is my guess… very unique, one in a million find…👍
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

North, I have a dozen examples. One day I found a black broke Scotty with amazing flaking . I remembered a yellow piece from a year earlier with the same flaking. I go home and sit comparing the flaking for an hour. I had both pieces in my hand and suddenly they just fit together! I was stunned.

Comment

• DiversionHound
          DiversionHound commented
          Editing a comment
          I know right! When I think of rock, I think of something that is for the most part permanent, it doesn't change. But to see how different the same rock can be depending on its conditions over time is pretty amazing.

My friend who put those 2 together knew better than me. His dad had several examples at home that were different colors. Since matching those rocks together as a kid, I have seen more examples, but the contrast in this one piece(s) is my personal best example of showing this kind of thing. It's always a fun conversation piece.

Comment

• Garguy
          Garguy commented
          Editing a comment
          If I get time ,I will dig a few out tomorrow. Good post.

Exposure to the elements and sun. Have you ever picked up a point and found it was different colors on opposite sides and often changing color once exposed?
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          If I can prompt color-change just by putting in water, or leaving out in sun, or splashing lil mineral oil, imagine what Mother Nature can do!

gregszybala, yes I have found a couple like that! This is just a preform I think, but is the best example of the faces having a different color.

I know after digging some points out of the basement I had found as a kid, I took a hard look at several thinking they used to have more vibrant colors... then thought nah... but I suppose they probably really did...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220701_074756_7768.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	643731Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220701_074805_3697.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	643732

Comment

Truly amazing. The fact is we will never know, and that's a shame. Kim
          Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

It's one of those things you just keep looking at in confused amazement
            Wisconsin

Comment

I’ve had broken ones pieced together that one had patina while being exposed to sun and the other piece not. It probably was covered by dirt and had Fires 🔥 on top of it . I’ve been finding over a dozen points at a site where they are fire popped because later groups cooked on top of them after being covered with time . Good find .

Comment

Working...
              X