Tyrone Chert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyrone Chert?

Whatever the material, it looks like the faces of this blade run more parallel with the bands, rather than perpendicular, or otherwise across, if that makes sense.

You can see more banding in the bevel.

Like all my stuff, this is a personal find in Bullitt Co KY.

I took some pics with varying levels of light. Too much sun and there is a lot of glare and it's hard to see the banding.

I'm not going to put any links here, not sure what the rules are, but when I google Tyrone chert, one particular example that looks very similar, even matches the color of this piece is a top hit.

When I look at pieces that are undeniable Crab Orchard, which I think is a subgroup of Tyrone, most of those pieces have more banding visible, but thinking it depends on how your point was knapped and how it runs across the material.

What do you guys think? Please and thank you...

​​​​​ ​​​​​ ​​​​​

Your pic didn’t upload
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Shoot. Thanks! Trying again...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220706_134333_5800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	644662
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220706_134236_5049.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.2 KB ID:	644660
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220706_134224_502.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	644661
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220706_113529_6704.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	644664Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220706_113433_040_6251.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	644665
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DiversionHound; 07-06-2022, 01:01 PM. Reason: I apparently messed up when attaching the pics...

Comment

Same stuff
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• DiversionHound
          DiversionHound commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks are you saying that you think it's Tyrone Chert or are you unable to see the images still?

That looks more like Carter Cvae to me. Carter Cave chert is orange like your specimen. Tyrone is darker. dark browns and grays. Tyrone is pretty stuff but Carter Cave is also a very beautiful Kentucky chert. Here is a link from our recource section. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...chert-kentucky
        Tyrone chert looks like the photo below.
        Tyrone chert is considered a stromatolite. Ancient colonies of Cyanobacteria lived in shallow water up tp three and a half billion years ago. Carbon dioxide, water and sunlight fed these micro cyanobacteria that lived in the shallow seas and formed in large mats. These cyanobacteria would excrete calcium carbonate which would act as a cement and fuse the micro crystalline sands and silts creating a fossilized mixture of excrement. It was laid down in layers over eons of time forming the striped stromatolite we call Tyrone chert. In other areas like TN. Some folks refer to it as crab orchard chert.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tyrone.png Views:	0 Size:	204.8 KB ID:	644711
        Last edited by Hoss; 07-06-2022, 08:40 PM.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• DiversionHound
          DiversionHound commented
          Editing a comment
          Very cool! Thank you so much for the explanation. There's so much for me to learn. Wow, that sure is a nice dove tail example there too!

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Its notmy point. Its a beauty

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          The Stramatolites in Kentucky are pre cambrian in age. Not sure if they are actually 3.5 billion years old but the University of KY lists them as precambrain so its at least half a billion.
          Last edited by Hoss; 07-14-2022, 07:56 PM.

Beautiful material for sure
        Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
        X