No announcement yet.

Florence (Kay County) Chert locations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florence (Kay County) Chert locations?

I know of this heat treated material being found in the Arkansas River in Oklahoma, so id assume this could just as easily be found in my parts as well correct? SWAR in particular. I found this years ago there and have always been drawn to that material and wondering if this in fact Kay County Chert?
    Attached Files

References to Florence chert:

I'm just guessing here but might that be Palmwood?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Don't know what material but it is beautiful and a nice point
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• outlaws15
        outlaws15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree

I've handled a lot of Kay County chert, and that almost looks too high quality.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Thanks guys, not good with lithic types but I definitely think its something learned from hands on the pieces and hard to get out of any book of from pictures. Seeing and feeling firsthand is where its at imo. But im learning. I have read of these palm wood artifacts but not sure about in this area. Ill look into it. Thanks again

Comment

Looks like pet wood to me as well. Not sure what area you are located, but I've seen a lot of pet palm points and yours looks identical to some I've seen. Pet wood found in a lot of places. Pretty rare where I am in the Ozarks, But I have a Neosho knife, found here on the War Eagle, that Don Dickson ID'd for me as Pet Palm.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Apache, ive looked at everyones views and opinions but still can’t convince myself of any particular material. Im in SW-AR. I did read it is plentiful, pet palmwood, in ETX and if not mistaken i read that it was the TX state stone. And that is my general area. Im sure i have more similar ones made of similar material, i just have to get em out and look every now and then. And i always overlook or miss something. Thanks again!

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry I meant to mention as well, Ole War Eagle……one of my best friends used to be a Park Ranger on War Eagle. He has a few nice artifacts from there but that was from back before i got him addicted to searching for them. Must be an awesome place!

I've found stuff from near near where it comes out of the ground to where it meets the White River at Beaver lake. Park ranger? Lake or Hobbs?

Comment

Im sorry I should have gotten my facts straight before make the Ranger comment. I actually didn’t know him back then and he could have been a ranger near there and had just found the items on War Eagle. Im getting old and can’t recall things like i used to but i will ask, bc now im curious as well

Comment

Ok got facts now! Withrow Springs State Park which was along the War Eagle creek. Sorry for any confusion. Are you familiar with that park Apache?

Comment

Working...
              X