Material ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material ID

Does anyone recognize this material? It seems rather abundant in my area (central Indiana) I’ve found hunks, chunks, spalls and flakes and today I found this point made from the stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1776.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	694670

Could be Flint Ridge or some type of Pudding Stone... Congrats on your rescue!

Comment

Looks like Harrodsburg chert
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It looks like muldraugh chert to me.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I’m in central Indiana too, and have found a little pieces of stuff that looks like that before around my property by a creek. If it’s the same stuff, I wondered if it was agate because it’s got a glossy, small crystal grain, and parts of it are transparent. I don’t know my cherts very well though.

Chert ID is tricky for me, since there are so many varieties that overlap and each one can come in a range of colors and patterns. But it seems there are a few varieties that dominate each area. Have you identified any of the other common cherts around here, Sparks?

There’s one type I see pretty commonly around waterways, often see pieces of something that at one point were worked into sort of a thick hoe, preform, or hand axe shape, and usually don’t seem to preserve well, but are brown, fine-grained, continuous boring color, but usually more chalky than super glossy. it must’ve been an important material, and seems fairly common, though I’ve never found a biface out of it so maybe it has limitations. Have you seen anything like that? Any idea what it is?
          Last edited by BoilerMike; 08-28-2023, 02:26 PM.
          Central Indiana

Comment

Hay Sparks I found a piece of that last month in Bloomington. I posted it and this is what gregzybola said "The spotted piece is probably Harrodsburg". Mine looks just like what you found.
            Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5794.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	671.0 KB
ID:	703158
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

The stone looks similar to what I find in my areas i search close to big blue river in east central indiana

Comment

Working...
              X