What chert is this,central IN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What chert is this,central IN?

Found this cracked open. It’s a good example of a material that’s often found around here, and I’d love to know what it is. I tried taking pictures with slightly different lighting, and in one of the pictures, the big half had been dunked in water and mostly towel-dried a moment earlier.

By the way, could those have been flake scars from cortex removal (an artifact)? Almost looks like someone might have started preparing it for something, but I didn’t pick it up thinking it was an artifact - just a good example of the material.
    Attached Files
    Central Indiana

I just cleaned the little end (pics 2 and 3 below) and took some pics with some different lighting angles. You can see in the third pic below, that the tip of the pointy, broken-off end has fresher scars with conchoidal fractures. It’s sort of looks like the bit of an adz, but not very sharp. If anyone thinks it’s anything other than a rock, let me know.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BoilerMike; 09-13-2023, 12:24 AM.
    Central Indiana

Comment

It's definitely Chert, and that's all I can say Mike. It looks like good material, someone from out in your area will come up with a type. K
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
      X