Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying an Axe Head?

Hi,
    I'm new here. I've always been fascinated with Native American artifacts. I recently came across a piece in an antique store in Austin Texas but they didn't really know anything about it. I'm wondering if the experts here might be able to help me identify it? I think it's an axe head. It's stone and about the size of my hand and the stone has a grain like wood, maybe petrified wood? It's very smooth on the large end and has a fairly sharp and even edge. The smaller edge is not nearly as even or smoothly polished. Any help would be great, I'd love to know what it is.
    Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo [replaced].jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	205321

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	29
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	205322

Welcome to ah.com :welcome:
    It looks to be a banded slate and I it looks like a full groove axe with some heavy use.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Welcome to the forum spevan. Regarding you ax, I have to say it is a modern piece. First off, the material is all wrong. These were typically made of a hardstone that would take years of use and abuse. Secondly, is the high polish through out. A full grooved ax such as this would be at least 6000 to 7000 years old. This one doesn't look to me like it has ever been in the ground. In other words, it does not exhibit the patina to be old.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I think Ray is correct.  There is an minor chance that it is an old piece that has seen modern buffing to bring out the shine, but the groove doesn't look right.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I'm not expert, but I'm with Ray.  Appears to be a modern piece.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback.  I suspected it might be modern.  Still, it's cool and I like it.  It'll be nice to display on a shelf.  I'll have to do a little homework and find something old.

Comment

Will agree with the rest , modern ....
              As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
              NW Arkansas

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

pretty but the bit dont show the wear it should.In comparison with how much wear the other end has.

Comment

Working...
                X