possible plummet attachment method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible plummet attachment method?

this is a "sidebar" to another thread.heres how i think SOME of em" were tied, if i was tossin this out in the water i would trust this knot as it tightens as its pulled on.

call me Jay, i live in R.I.

just slip over yer gatoraid plummet    and pull to tighten

the end im holding can be as long/short as you like and is where the hook and bait are tied on,the other end is the long end.

Comment

not sure just what kinda knot its called.but its very simple and strong.me tryin my hand at interperative archeology! :laugh:

Comment

I use a similar knot for tying hooks to a main line on my catfish trotlines.

Comment

i like using 20lb.test salt water line and a weight fer hand line'n bullheads up here!

Comment

looks like a slip knot to me. if no bottle involved it would just slip back through the Knot.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

It makes me wonder what they used for line.Most of these plummets if they have grooves at all.Seem to have very small grooves.Which indicate small lines.Do you suppose they used any woven rope?I mean for other purposes.

Comment

(It's now called the Robbins Museum.)
                Rhode Island

Comment

Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

well,sinew is held together by its natural glue and by twisting, so i dont think they used that,in fact from what ive read they would protect their bowstrings from the rain,so salt waters probably right out,but maybe intestines or plant fiber rope was used?or perhaps maybe small strips of leather?

Comment

Here you can see only the shallowest of grooves to accommodate whatever was used. And many have even smaller knobs!
                      Just seems like it would slip off easy, and a notched wright is SO much less work and could also be used as a line weight, as could small grooved weights...

Or again, imagine these staying attached and never slipping off if they are only tied off at the knob. This next large example(7 1/2")barely has a knob. The illustrated examples are huge as well. Just seems like it's asking a lot for these to be highly secure, just a thought..

Rhode Island

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

well,sinew is held together by its natural glue and by twisting, so i dont think they used that,in fact from what ive read they would protect their bowstrings from the rain,so salt waters probably right out,but maybe intestines or plant fiber rope was used?or perhaps maybe small strips of leather?
                          I read somewhere that buffalo hair was used for rope-making, but I'm sure plant fibers and other things could have been used as well, especially depending upon the locale.

Comment

Working...
                        X