Largest Paleoarchaic knife I(39)ve found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest Paleoarchaic knife I(39)ve found

I found this beauty this past weekend in an area that I hike often. Near Concho, Arizona, the Mesa Redondo Ranch Road area stretches approximately 2 1/2 miles east to west and almost 3 miles north to south. Much of the land is private, but very few people reside there. I've found pottery sherds, atlatl points and arrowheads, stone scrapers and similar small tools, monos and metates, petrified wood artifacts, an old basalt knife, and one very nice large stone hammer/axe.
    Although all the creeks are dry now, it's obvious from the terrain that a lot of water flowed through that area in the past. The ground is mostly sand, which makes it nice for searching even after rain. It's my favorite place, only about 45 minutes from home and almost always empty. I've only seen other people a couple of times, and that was always on the roads.
    I found this beautiful knife/scraper lying by itself near a bush, although there were other tools in the general area. It wasn't in an area of runoff, and I'm amazed that it lay so long without being stepped on by elk or antelope and breaking. It's very thin and light, and is the largest intact piece that I've ever found. Most of the tools and points in that area are much smaller.

That is a great piece and it sounds like you have an excellent place to hunt! It could be Paleo but to me nothing indicates that definitively. Knowing the area just a little, I think you are correct about the Archaic part of your title. Must be really nice not to have a lot of competition!!
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Very nice piece but the flaking does not say Paleo to me.....Also welcome to the site lots of great people here
      I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Another nice find! I"ll bet you've got some room to roam out there!
        Now if I could get my two sons in Tucson to do some artifact hunting!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks for the comments re paleo vs archaic. I'm not sure how to tell the difference, and any advice you guys can give me would be welcome.

Comment

Most times it is difficult to really tell unless it is a known Paleo site or the artifact is found in context. Fine Paleo flaking sometimes can be determined but from my experience unless there is evidence or tell tale signs I will go with a later period.  Yours is a very nice piece but without diagnostic features such as a point would exhibit it is really hard to determine.

Comment

rmartin wrote:

Most times it is difficult to really tell unless it is a known Paleo site or the artifact is found in context. Fine Paleo flaking sometimes can be determined but from my experience unless there is evidence or tell tale signs I will go with a later period.  Yours is a very nice piece but without diagnostic features such as a point would exhibit it is really hard to determine.
              Thanks Ray! I agree the diagnostic is not there to tell. Flaking is not Paleo either. and without context of Paleo then no way to say it was/is
              Nice find for sure! Thanks for sharing!
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

[QUOTE]chase wrote:

Originally posted by rmartin post=133093
                Thanks Ray! I agree the diagnostic is not there to tell. Flaking is not Paleo either. and without context of Paleo then no way to say it was/is
                Nice find for sure! Thanks for sharing!
                  I agree, nice piece and I think Ray and Chase are correct. The flaking doesn't say paleo to me either and without context.....well......they already said that!
                Southern Connecticut

Comment

keep your eyes open, lancolate blades like that come in all sizes. Here is one of a bigger ones I have found.

I think it must be farly old given the way it was knapped and Given some of the stuff I have found there is over 9,000 years old.

Comment

waterglass wrote:

keep your eyes open, lancolate blades like that come in all sizes. Here is one of a bigger ones I have found.

I think it must be farly old given the way it was knapped and Given some of the stuff I have found there is over 9,000 years old.
                    Waterglass, I certainly would not call the a Lanceolate type point. It appears to me to be a preform

Comment

Oh, not a point, but blades used for digging or chopping I figure.
                      I am pretty sure that these were used for something as is. I think they were hafted choppers. I have found the bases of houndreds of these blades in habitation sites. No tips, just bases. the way they were broken is uniform as if the common stress point is  the same on most of them.
                      Meaning they were hafted the same way, broke in the same place due to a specific use, and were refitted at the camp site. I learned that here.
                      I have some truely fine examples of them that I will post sometime. For every 200 broken bases I a may find one that is complete.

Comment

Working...
                      X