Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hafted end scrapers

How about some hafted end scrapers?
    How common are these in your area? I`ve only found this frame full in all my years of looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Reflector; 12-08-2023, 06:04 PM.

Nice hafted scrapers. The notched scraper in the bottom row stands out. Interesting that all the rest are stemmed.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I posted what I thought was a very interesting article on Hafted Scrapers but it got lost or deleted somehow during the upgrade to the Forum not all that long ago. I personally love Hafted Scrappers and Drills. Your collection is amazing and I am glad that you shared it.
      \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Those r very nice ! Thanks for the look !
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

Nice frame! I have found a few over the years but very few.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

In my area, they aren't common at all, ( central Pa. ) When I obtain larger collections there are always a few, I don't think people readily recognize them, and they go into the box of broken points. I only ever found two, both being reworked jasper Perkiomen points. The top left one just had the tip damaged, but it was resharpened into a scraper. The bottom three examples are reworked graver tips on Perkiomen. points. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04879.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	186464
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I have found well over 50 in one field alone. Here's a few. All quartz, some may be repurposed points; others may be made from scratch....
              Rhode Island

Comment

And a few more made of other lithics. Since so many points were repurposed/salvaged, I would say hafted scrapers are common.
                Rhode Island

Comment

I've never found one nor seen one in local collections. Maybe I just didn't recognize them for what they were. Then again I've only found one broke in my two years of hunting. 😕
                  Child of the tides

Comment

I would guess that unless you hunt where there may have been extensive cleaning
                    of meat, these might not turn up. Mostly Archaic time. Stemmed. Not common for me then.
                    Just what you see after years of walking and many broke and whole points.
                    I`d say 500 to 1.

Comment

I think unless your very observant, there's more hafted scrapers in peoples collections than what they think. If you start digging through boxes of supposed broken points, you may find some hafted scrapers that you didn't know you had. And I've noticed if you check the wear/use pattern on the edges, many hafted scrapers also served as adzes, used in a pushing motion to maybe aid in making wooden shafts.
                      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Havenhunter
                        Havenhunter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hmm, okay, so now I should re-examine my only broke, which has a highly polished edge that I assumed was due to tumbling in sand & surf.

Very nice scrapers.

Comment

I tried posting some of mine but couldn't get them to upload. May be something on my end. I'll try again tomorrow if I get time.
                        Attached Files

Comment

null

Comment

Few more Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5530.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	186581
                            Last edited by Hoss; 12-12-2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X