Gravers show em if got them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravers show em if got them

I have always enjoyed seeing the different types of graver's Here is a few I have Lets see what the membership has!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	210.JPG
Views:	1197
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	204768 Click image for larger version

Name:	608.JPG
Views:	1173
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	204769
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

NY flint graver found in Central Mass. Click image for larger version

Name:	graver.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	204771

Comment

Name:	DSC05565.JPG
Views:	1314
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	204777

Name:	DSC05566.JPG
Views:	1120
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	204778

Name:	DSC05567.JPG
Views:	1027
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	204779

Name:	DSC05569.JPG
Views:	997
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	204780

Name:	DSC05568.JPG
Views:	1041
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	204781

Most of the graver examples I have are from the Paleo Indian assembledge from the Shoop Site. Here, there are three types of gravers. The single graver chipped on the edge of a small, thin flake ( 1st photo, top row ); multiple gravers on a single flake, called a " coronet " graver, ( 1st photo, 1st example, bottom ) and the heavier, sturdy gravers chipped on the corners of the working edge of an endscraper, or other tool type. ( 2nd. & 3rd photo ) There's also gravers from the Perkiomen and Lehigh points. ( 4h photo ) . In the one photo, ( 5 th ) is one of the very few, needle thin and sharp, drill or elongated graver chipped on an angle from the tip of a fluted point ( Shoop Site ). Many of the tiny, needle like graver tips are believed to have been used for tattooing, or skin piercing. They are to delicate to be used on anything hard.
      Last edited by pkfrey; 04-21-2016, 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        PK - you've got quite a varied collection. I was really impressed with it all. You're post helped me identify one of the artifacts in my collection. I have a graver similar to your 2nd to last pic in your post. Thanks for taking the time to share it all.

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        I knew you would showcase your paleo .. so nice Paul .

What you call this? Graver/perforator/punch/mini drill?

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey coach, I’d call that an Indian Jack.😮

That’s a really cool one there.

I think I would narrow that down to punch or mini drill, or reamer. What I never understood about these type of tools, drills, reamers, etc., if that's what they were used for, why is it you very rarely see any smoothing on the edges from rotating the tool in the fashion of a drill? Even on the normal 2 -3 inch regular, very recognized drill form, you should see heavy smooth polish on the high points, and the edges, but the tools rarely exhibit this.

Comment

Here is one that is a graver/scraper/knife/spokeshave.

Name:	135.JPG
Views:	1012
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	204787
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Chase - that's an all-in-one huh. Nice.

• headhunter777
          headhunter777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Indian Swiss Army knife.

• Missouri Breaks
          Missouri Breaks commented
          Editing a comment
          Chase, are we considering and terming the west coast drills and punch type tools gravers? Kind of a use and terminology question because I’m also wondering what uses would’ve universally crossed the continent and which might’ve been more west or east coast or plains etc…?

After reading Paul's post I believe I can identify one of my artifacts as a graver/perforator.

Name:	Graver1.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	204792 Click image for larger version

Name:	Graver2.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	204793
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That looks like an Ohio, Coshocton chert Adena/Hopewell point, with a retipped graver on it! I've seen gravers from every culture, even on Late Woodland triangles, and most are retipped tips.

Comment

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Paul - All I knew was that it had been through the mill here on the mountain but I kept it anyway.

Name:	qaz 012.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	204796
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Driftwood
            Driftwood commented
            Editing a comment
            That's just awesome!

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s a frickin dandy right there!

• headhunter777
            headhunter777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice

Name:	tools.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	204798
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

One side is a thumb scraper and the other has this little beak shaped graver knapped in.

Name:	IMG_2925.JPG
Views:	1064
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	204809 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2927.JPG
Views:	1102
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	204810

Comment

Look real close for small micro chipping in the concave area on the second photo. Very tiny flakes will be taken off both sides to create a needle sharp tip. It looks like this is indeed a graver, but it's hard to see the secondary flaking in the photo. I can't get close enough photos of what I mean, the photos always come out blurry if I try to close. There should be very small and shallow chips taken off all around the graver area. But not on the back side, the tool still will be uniface.

Comment

You referred to your tool as shaped like a " beak ". There is a specific tool form found in the Paleo Indian tool types called beaks. They are sharpened points usually made on the tips or edges of another tool. But beaks are not as fragile, or needle tipped like gravers. It's thought that beaks may be a type of small gouging tool for a variety of tasks. Here are three examples, two chipped on the edges of Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05570.JPG
Views:	1116
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	204880 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05571.JPG
Views:	1046
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	204881 end scrapers, and one chipped on the tip of a flake.These are from the Shoop Site.

Comment

• headhunter777
                  headhunter777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pkfrey I have quite a few of those “beaks”. Thanks for the insight. I never knew what they were, but that makes a lot of sense. I’m fixing to post some pictures down below. One of the artifacts even has Cortex on each side of the beak. I’m assuming to make it more durable.

I'm not sure if these are gravers, perforators or punches. North Carolina field finds. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

Comment

I would call those gravers, or, perforators. To be punches, that would mean the base of the point would exhibit a lot of battering from being hit in order to use the tip as a punch. They could easily be either gravers, or perforators.

Comment

Working...
                  X