Hidden in that Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden in that Valley

I found a point! The Creek has been a little tough this Summer, mainly because of The lack of enough Rain at once. Just enough Rain to keep The Creek in good shape but not enough to move much around. You keep trying though, You know what I mean. It doesn't have The classic Dickson shape to it,not heat treated and I think I even see a little bevel to it. I'm going to call it a Hidden Valley, for now anyway. Somebody got Their use out of it but hey, it's a Point!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2336.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	261257Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2337.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	261258
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Cool
    Child of the tides

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Deb, it is.

Nice point and isitu Josh! Love seeing those Mo gravel bar insitus! Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, yep Me too.

Heck love the isitu pic !! That's awesome
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ev!

Josh - If you hadn't centered that point, I'd never have seen it in the insitu - let alone on the actual hunt. I remember walking along river banks like that in Illinois and Missouri but back then we were kids looking for flat rocks to skip across the water. Nice point and super duper insitu.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck, some creek's,River's or spot's are better than other's. Some places I have been to look like they are chock full of stuff a point would never be found in. This one has been "mixed in" with the pea gravel junk.

I agree on all comments, and am not smart enough to form my own. Nice!!!
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, Jethro

Hey Josh, Nice find and I wish I could send you some of our rain.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, that's ok Ron. I picked up a Rock today, I think Something could be made out of It.

That's a nice find particularly when your lucky enough to find one this time of year.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      No kidding, Thanks Greg

Josh...quick question: I have a creek that borders my property here in the edge of the oauchitas, it is spring fed and usually has some water even late in the summer. Across the creek on my neighbor's place, we were cutting a ramp into the creek embankment to fascilitate crossing the creek with a Jeep or tractor, but using a dozen to do the dirt work. After moving dirt for a few hours, the rain ran us off. The next day he went back and was looking around for his dozer key he had dropped and found several points and pieces of worked stone. I am thinking about walking this creek now like you guys apparently do...it is very shallow, has a rock bottom, and is not more than 10 feet wide anywhere...is this worth my time and do you have any pointers or suggestions? Should I wait on drier weather?

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Jethro first I want to say Thanks, You had Me rolling for a second. Well I would say sure especially if You know there was Hunting or Camp activity on The Bank. Where You Guy's did Work is where Thing's showed up after moving The Soil around and some Rain. Well, I'm sure there is Stuff in that Creek, finding it may not be easy but They say anything's possible.

Way to go Josh

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kurt!

Thanks Josh...it's supposed to rain the next couple, but I'm going back over there when it quits, and I may wait until first frost to walk that. I don't think anybody ever has, and between the two of us, we have about a mile of creek. He doesn't care anything about it, and doesn't care if I take every rock in it home with me.
    there was some evidence of a camp there...at least some time period of occupation. We cut what I'm pretty sure was a fire/trash pit in one spot, and from the chips scattered about, it looks promising. I may disk the high bank above the creek after first frost too. Right now it's just pasture.
    thanks again.👍

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Jethro, up here about mid to late summer small bit's of bark and some leaves start to cover things up in small Creek's. Definitely worth a try now and then though.

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      If you disk too close to the stream your silt runoff will muddy it up every time it rains. Bad for the wildlife too.

I did not think about the leaves covering everything up......I was only hoping to avoid the chiggers and ticks.
    now I'm rethinking my schedule.

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      If you watch some of the artifact hunting videos on youtube like Seneca Relics, they always comment that fallen leaves in autumn covers up their gravel bars. Like Josh says, it's now or wait until winter.

You always seem to do well in your creeks. That's a nice one
    South Dakota

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes, Thanks Gary!

Nice find!!

Von

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Von!

Great find and fantastic in-situ Josh. Is it siting on the lip of a washout?
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bruce, yep it sure is High up on a gravel bar.
      Last edited by JoshinMO; 08-19-2017, 11:54 AM.
Working...
X