Getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started

My computing skills have left me. Just lost post that took three hours to compose, using my Spell checker. Here goes again. Can you folks Authenticate, date, and give the type of this, my first relic, an Ohio arrow head? Thanks.
    Chub
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	311759 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	311760

Last edited by Hoss; 08-20-2018, 06:30 PM.

Welcome to forum, nice point only know about South East Ga. points and sometimes they are confusing to I.D.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Chub, welcome from a fellow Ohioan. That's a beautiful point. I love the dark colored chert. It looks to be a side notced archaic point. This style is a little hard to pin down for me because there are several names for this style, they were made for awhile by different cultures . You might hear others call it a big Sandy or a Brewerton. Someone on this site should come along with a stronger option .
      Central Ohio

Comment

Looks like a Hopewell to me.
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Chubb, Welcome to the forum. The flint sure looks like Upper Mercer or Coshocton. They quarried it over by Nellie, Ohio in Coshocton County. The notching doesn't look square enough for a Big Sandy to me. Just looking at the pictures I would lean toward Hopewell or Woodland.
          Great find and Good Luck out there,
          fldwlkr
          Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Chub - it may be the lighting or my eyes but the lower one third of that point (toward the base) looks to have been reworked on both sides. The patina is significantly lighter on the upper two thirds. Not sure about an Id. Most of the Hopewell's found in my area are corner notched. I'll go with Willjo and Fldwlkr - they're confusing at times and often hard to Id. However, I'm sure we'll all agree it a really nice point. Love that lithic too.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hopwell related. Maybe Zaleski flint?

Comment

Name:	
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	313052 I am just getting back to using this forum, after not being able to sign in, post, and use the forum. I think that my son has found all of the mistakes, I've made, and got me back on track. I need to explain my lack of computing skills, or the loss of them. I am eighty seven years of age, and have experienced a lot of memory loss lately. Along with loss of memory, goes your ability to spell. In order for me to compose posts, it takes me lots of time, and the use of a spellchecker, so as not to appear to be the "Village Idiot". That being said, I'm just getting back to my old childhood hobby, collecting "Indian Relics". To answer a question brought up by Scorpion68, the lower 1/3 of the first arrow point that I collected, and the one that I'v shown, is due to my shameful use of the arrow point, as the flint used with steel to create sparks. This was at about age six in 1937. Here is another picture of that arrow point shown with some of my "hodge Podge" collection of "Indian Relics", collected, from sources all over the USA, including the Aleutian Islands.
                Last edited by Hoss; 08-20-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Your Find's Chubb, They are quite nice.
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Morning Chubb that frame if points is an arrowhead hunters dream man congrats on finding them ...Red from Connecticut.
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Name:	DSC02696.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	314304 Here is a pink "Christmas Tree"? point that an uncle from my maternal side of my family gave to me, when I was around six years old in 1937.
                      Chubb

Comment

• JoshinMO
                        JoshinMO commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice Point

That is amazing to have a point for 80 years from age six
                      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Awesome Chubb
                        SW Connecticut

Comment

This point is an "Unagan bone,arrow point. The second, arrow point in my meager collection. It was passed on to me by my Dad. I received it at around age six, in1937.

Chubb Click image for larger version

Name:	image_46170.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	314336
                          Last edited by Hoss; 08-20-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• CMD
                            CMD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I believe that's a small harpoon tip! Awesome!

Originally posted by willjo View Post
                          That is amazing to have a point for 80 years from age six
                          Willjo;
                          Its only the relics that have a story that came with them that I remember, the pink "Christmas tree" point came to me with quite a story, so I remember it really well. I don't know how to authenicate the story that came with this point, but, It was that a strip of land that ran through several farms, including my grandfather's, was reported to be where native american Indians fought their tribal wars. This was one of the many points picked up from that sight.

Chubb

Comment

Working...
                          X