Follow-up #3 to My Flabbergasted Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow-up #3 to My Flabbergasted Post

Got home a little late today so further sorting was out. But I wanted to take some photos of the larger stuff we had sorted through. I apologize for the lighting. I substituted fluorescent for natural light and it just isn't the same. Also, being somewhat tired, my photos aren't exactly what I wanted them to be. Now that my disclaimer is done - here we go:

First up is the largest tip in the lot. It is really river worn and much of the detail is hard to see in these pics but both blade edges show the typical scallop pattern of pressure flaking and the overall shape is elliptical.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Base10bLarge.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	325129 Click image for larger version

Name:	Base10aLarge.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	325130

I'll have to get better pictures. The necessary detail doesn't show here.

Name:	Tip12a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	325131

Name:	Tip12b.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	325132

Name:	Base3a.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	325134 Click image for larger version

Name:	Base3c.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	325133

Name:	Base3d.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	325135

I think the artifact pictured immediately above was probably a base to knife but it broke and was repurposed into a scraper or shorter knife. The wider end I believe was the original base while the narrower end was the tip that broke. That's about all I have time for tonight. Getting up at Zero Dark Thirty is wearing on me. But the weekends coming up and I'm hoping to get Joey over here for some info exchange.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Anxiously awaiting...👍👍👍👍
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Looks like a nice potlid

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	325149
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Chuck , the big square one might have been a square knife . If I remember correctly that being the name . Seems like I should have looked this up first . Wayne found a mid section of one . Just a perfect square piece long but broken .Its in
        overstreet to tired lol .
        Looks like your piece and like you said they might have reworked it .. chisel

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Tam - I've been doing quite a bit of research on your idea of a square knife and I think you're right. In our area it's called a Square-End Knife. What threw me off was the rounded end, which I took to be the base and the squared end, which I assumed had been beveled and sharpened due to a break. Well, ya know what they say when you ASSUME anything. Anyway - That's what I'm gonna ID it as. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts. Appreciate ya and Wayne.

Cool stuff. I strongly believe that last one is an adze, and a nice one at that. It has the correct dimensions and manufacture method for a typical adze. It also looks nearly identical to dalton adzes recovered from many sites throughout the Midwest and southeast states. I think it was Morse who said that adzes started off as cobble cores and when the core was near exhaustion it took on its final use form as an adze. Judging by the dimensions, manufacture method, and presence of cortex, the third piece is most likely an adze and that's what I'd call it. Because of what looks like an absence of polish on the bit end, it could be an adze preform. It should be noted that most adzes do have a blade edge.
        Last edited by Broken Arrow; 10-12-2018, 02:44 AM.
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          BA - I never even considered an Adze. I see other people finding them but not me. Hum. Gonna have to do some research for them in my area.

Name:	Screenshot_2018-10-12-02-26-12.png
Views:	150
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	325163 here is a pic of a group of adzes and adze performs recovered from the twin sites in st. Louis co.
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info BA. Appreciate ya

Those are some awesome pieces! Could you imagine what they would look like if they were whole?
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for commenting KP. I always wonder what artifacts would have looked like when I find them broken. Unfortunately, it appears, we spend more time wondering than knowing. Appreciate ya.

Need a head-on view of the bit end possibly either an adze or Celt...mjm

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          MJM - I've posted bit-end view of the artifact as well as the opposite end. Let me know what ya think.

MJM - Here ya go - I took close ups of both ends. As you'll see the one end, I'll call the bit end, was fairly evenly shaped and beveled across the face while the opposite end seemed to be kind of beat up. If you need addit closeups, let me know.

Bit end:

Name:	DSC_0308.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	328951 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0309.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	328953 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0311.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	328954

Opposite End:

Name:	DSC_0313.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	328952 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0312.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	328955
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
        X