Imperfect Base? I'll haft it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperfect Base? I'll haft it!

I've found a lot of points with imperfect bases. Thinning attempts and mess ups... They were still used/hafted as long as it worked boom.
    Post yours.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Hi Tom. Some nice points you got there. I looked at the points you showed us and I only saw. one that I would call "imperfect" and one where it looked like the maker wanted to thin the base but didn't for whatever reason. HST, As you know, some types were made on purpose with bases that were not thinned or ground smooth or had no stem at all. Just characteristic of a particular type such as Morrow Mountain, Copena, Dalton, etc. with no stems to types such as Elora and some others that have some crude looking stems which is just the way they were made. So in that sense they were perfect, just not pretty. That white one with no stem looks interesting to me. Do you have a type for it? The reason I ask is that it kinda has a "Daltonish" look about it. Not saying it is though.

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      That white one is a "Safety Harbor" point but it is not classic as it shows transitional between Hernando (Early-Mid Woodland) and Triangle points (Pinellas/Late Woodland- Early Mississippian) with those little auricles

Here's one Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181207_111248.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	336443
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice color is it jasper?

ohhhh love this post let me see if I can transfer any old pics you all know my iPhone .
    You know Tom my favorite part of a point is the base . I just love a good corner notch with some pressure work on it . Like your red one . Btw the Snyder is a smoker to me .

Comment

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Good Topic and Point's Tom and Red. Above in My Link is a similar Topic I started while back. Maybe I have another Point to add, I'll look later.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I have found some with crocked stems hope it counts. Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11250.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	336493
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• tomclark
            tomclark commented
            Editing a comment
            Heck yeah that counts! Love that color

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I think thats the only one I have like it. Thanks

Nice looks like camo color...that would be a knife...with the angle I think
          SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Knife sounds rite. I remember looking on the gravel bar and seeing a flake of quartz. as I bent over to grab the flake I saw the point and stared at it for a min trying to decide what it was then grabbed it. It blended in so well. Only color like it I have found with the yellow.

This is another strange one probably worked as a tool. Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13005.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	336618 Have no idea as to how it was hafted
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Cool Topic. This base is missing about half the mass that should be there for a point it's size.
            Central TX

Comment

• JoshinMO
              JoshinMO commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice Point
          Working...
          X