First for me point found today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First for me point found today

Found this point this morning. Looking to find what kind of point is this? What could it have been used for? What age could it be? And are these rare? I have never seen one like it before. Thanks for the info. Oh and was a surface find picked it up once carried it for few mins then dropped it with hand full of chips got to thinking about it later on today and went back and got it

Welcome to the forum! That’s a beautiful white quartz Lecroy. I find them along the banks of the Rappahannock River here in coastal VA.
    Congratulations on your first find.

Deb
    Last edited by Havenhunter; 09-08-2019, 07:56 PM.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Good eye it’s a sweetheart!

Comment

My o my o my o my o my o my......
        🎼quartz, quartz🎹, quartz🎼, loooove 🎼that quartz🎼🎺🎺💃🏻👏
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Hey thanks for the feed back have been finding quite a few points last few weeks need rain bad not just for point hunting but it’s very dry here central va the photo with single point was found Thursday I believe and the larger one in second photo was found by my buddie this morning as well don’t know what any of them are other than small one or how old they are

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Good finds ! Congrats too.. What in the world cut your hand up ?

The point with the bifurcated base looks like a Lecroy as Deb said. If so, then it is Early Archaic. It probably was a dart point.

Comment

Guilford, Lecroy and probably a Savannah River which would just be a guess without the bases on the other 2. Archaic all 3
            NW Georgia,

Comment

I've heard that the LeCroy points were also used for knives: not unusual for them to be worked down to an absolute nubbin'. Here's a few links if you need them

LeCroy

Guilford

Savannah River
              If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Nice finds Pineridge15 love the little Lecroy!
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Nice little snowflake lecroy point.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice find, I would suggest that you bring everything ( Flint Related ) home for further inspection . There could be micro blades, spoke shaves, and gravers in such throw downs. Also, any odd stone that seems out of context. I love to look through other people’s throw downs, I’ve found a lot of artifacts that way. I bring everything home....JJ
                    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                      Lindenmeier-Man commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Also, if there is a lot of flint, a carpenters nail apron will easily hold and secure your finds. Another tool , a old golf club with the club cut off a a flat plate welded to the end. This will enable you to not have to bend and be able to pick up lots of flakes without exerting to much effort..

Two fold stick, stability and to pick up suspected artifacts..
                    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply like your idea on the golf club but here is a pic of what I have been using I have plans on a improved stick but am having so much luck with this one I don’t want to change anything just yet also yes on the out of place rocks I have brought so many of them home I have actually started putting them in the flower bed like pavers under the outdoor water spicket the pic of the odd shape stone is about the size of a biscuit actually looks exactly like a biscuit not sure if it’s just natural or has been made but definitely looks different it’s a lot of stones here that look like river rocks just completely smooth from pebble size to beach ball size have one here that actually looks like grooves cut around outside and when stacked on top each other fit perfectly together and looks like a snapping turtle head I will take pic of them and post tomorrow but thanks again

Comment

Nice spoon stick I made myself one a couple of years ago and it’s just a hickory with a sharp end works great. On your biscuit stone we will need to see the flat sides top and bottom. Could be something special
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

I will have to get a pic of the other side tomorrow I thought I had posted the pics of it looks like I posted a bunch of pics of that ordinary table spoon screwed to a stick for some reason

Comment

Working...
                          X