Wow!! best point I have found to date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow!! best point I have found to date

have waited 9 weeks for rain and finally got a shower of rain last night better than none but hunted hard today and found this guy just before dark what type is it found in central va

Looks like a killer Taylor! Love finding old points like that!! Great pull
    North Carolina

Comment

• Carolina Hunter
      Carolina Hunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have many items for you to see, utilized flake. If you say Taylor, then I am about 90% in agreement.

Don’t know the types in your area but looks like a fine piece
    NW Georgia,

Comment

There are a lot of names for those little early archaic corner notch pieces. Palmer is what comes to mind when I look at it, but they are all related to the Kirk Cluster in your area I believe.

Awesome little point!
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Nice artifact recovery.......great looking knife.

Comment

Beauty has a kirk like loo to it.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Great find Pinerige15 looks like a Kirk cluster Point to me as well congratulations. Hard to tell from pic but does look like it possibly has basil grinding Palmerish as clovisoid said. Either way its early and beautiful congratulations!
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Cool find ...congrats
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice point

Comment

Nice one, love those Kirk's! Thanks for sharing!
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Unless you have a smallish hand, it looks too big to be a Palmer. I would say Taylor or Kirk.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Got your hands dirty...literally. Hard work pays off.
                      You’ve got grit!
                      Flint
                      northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

Great little piece. Looks part of the kirk family. Central Va.? I walk a lot around southern central Va. Love the material. Have you ever come across any chalcedony points from your area?
                        North Carolina

Comment

• Pineridge15
                          Pineridge15 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Carolina hunter I’m not sure what chalcedony points are? Do you ever look around south Boston va or Clarksville va we have a farm in each I have found a couple points in Clarksville but have never looked for them my grand parents were tobacco farmers in Clarksville and picked up points all the time when working the fields I have never found any in southboston but like I said haven’t ever looked for them there we happened to be clearing some land here in Amelia and this all started one day when I was disking and a large rock got caught up in disc I haven’t posted pictures of it yet but pretty sure now that it is an artifact every since I got that rock out of disk gang I was thinking it look really strange and stoped and while walking back to it found a point then between there and the rock found 2 more been picking them up every since

• Carolina Hunter
                          Carolina Hunter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There was(is) a big outcrop of cattail chalcedony around the Dimwiddie area of Va. I don't hunt there, but I do hit areas of southern Va. I have a brother who lives in Warren Co. NC. He finds them too. The cattail point is the only one of that type I have found. I find mostly rhyolite and quartz. I would love to hunt full time, but I could not afford it.

I mention Taylor because the basal lobe or ear on one side is squared off. That seems to define a Taylor point, but rowans and or big Sandy's have exhibited the same basal style as well.
                        North Carolina

Comment

Working...
                        X