Thought I would share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought I would share

My friend found this plowing his field in SW Georgia . It’s so big I resized for format and these are the only 2 . I have to get more photos to show how thick the patina is . It has a ding from the plow and you can see a hint of Carmel Chert . So here we have a piece that the patina is thicker then the inside Chert .
    Time for me to get off the deer hunting and go get some points .

Wow that's beautiful! Can't wait to see what others think!!!
    North Carolina

Comment

Hmm wonder if was gonna be a hoe? Cool Tam
      SW Connecticut

Comment

CRIPES! That's massive! Might we call it the Oglethorpe Biface...?
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

It's a beauty, amazing size.
          San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

what are the dimensions?

Comment

• Tam
              Tam commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta go back that guy was watching me like I would drop it . My fingers like that are 3 inches for a gage . He had a Cookie jar of dovetails and Bolens killing me

That thing is big enough to be a dinner tray! It’s a neat hunk of chert for sure!
            SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Amazing.
              I agree that it is time to hunt for your own.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Found a piece of pottery nothing new right

I’m thinking big hoe myself but maybe wiljo will chime in and let us know. Hurry and walk that field must be something good showing. That thing is big enough to trip over
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Hey Tam, That sure is a huge biface. You have to wonder what they had in mind.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Tam, that's a good one! Hope you get a big buck while in Georgia and you find lots of artifacts!
                  South Carolina

Comment

• Tam
                    Tam commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me to

I think it's a large quarry biface preform/cache blade. It may have been intended for a spade, but there isn't any polish on the edges or surface, so it wasn't used yet, if it was going to be a spade. What Tam is calling extremely heavy patina, could still be the rind attached to it. The rind could have been that thick that it needs more flaking to get to the chert inside, which would be hard to do since it's already so thin.
                  http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                    SurfaceHunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Should be more of them in that area shouldn’t there? I thought it was awful big for a hoe.

Paul I’ll look for that Chert and see if I can find one with the core still on it . I have several points out of it . Carmel colored .Going to have to educate myself on rind .

Comment

Yes, indeedy, a whopper of a tool. With one end broken it's kinda hard to say for sure what it is or was. But if found on a site that had been used for agricultural purposes, I see no reason to suspect that it was a preform of any type but a functional tool halfted and used as a hoe or some such implement. I found a similar such item that was in a site adjacent to the Tennessee River. The kind of site it was found on will help determine whether it was some kind of preform or whether it was a tool already put to use.

Comment

Wow!!! Now that’s a Big Super Cool Artifact!!!

Von

Comment

Working...
                      X