Scarce New England Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarce New England Type

This quartz point showed up yesterday. Since I seldom find this type, at first I thought the maker had left a triangle unfinished. But, I soon realized that no, this looked very much like a Morrow Mountain Type 1. Further, going by the info in projectilepoints dot net, it is a rarely seen variety that displays a barbed, or “hanging” shoulder. At least on one corner, and while dinged at the other corner, it looks like it was likely barbed there as well. The link below show one example with a very similar “hanging” shoulder to yesterday’s find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECBF5705-2925-45E2-B1B8-01178A81C58D.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	546808
    The distribution map at the above link, shows Morrow Mountain extending into southern New England, but this would be the case for Type 2, not type 1. At least according to Noel Justice’s cluster model of typology, since he claims Type 1 is restricted to the Southeast. As Boudreau notes in his New England typology, our Stark point is the morphological correlate of Morrow Mountain Type 2. But, he leaves unresolved whether our Stark point developed here independently, or is in fact derived from Morrow Mountain Type 2.

In any event, Boudreau includes a few examples, but not full devoted pages, to several rare Southeastern types that occur but rarely in New England, such as Kirk and Palmer, to name but two. But nowhere does he mention any Morrow Mountain Type 1’s from southern New England. But I think I do come across what can only be Morrow Mountain Type 1’s now and then. On an extremely uncommon basis.

So I was very pleased to find an apparent Morrow Mountain Type 1 with barbed or “hanging” shoulders. Unless someone can suggest a better match.

Here is what sure looks like a Morrow Mountain Type 1, rhyolite, and from another coastal RI site. Both this site, and the one that yielded yesterday’s quartz point have yielded other early Southeastern types. Both sites, for example, gave up rare Hardaway Side-Notched.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	E525F79C-7EF5-4412-8BC0-8711719342DE.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	546809

Rhode Island

Congrats! It's always fun to find the rare point or lithic.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It seems insane that the early NAs would travel so far, and yet: there's the proof - written in stone. Good Eye Man!
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Now that is Way Cool!!!
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Nice finds the Morrow Mountain is like the Savannah river point in that are several variants.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Good info, nice li’ll jewel.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

Nice save, very interesting sites you have.

Comment

That's a great find Charlie...congrats man
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                X