Cohansey Quartsite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cohansey Quartsite

Picked this Beauty up June 3rd only 1/8 inch of the base was poking out at Me I tapped it with my probe it did not budge as I pulled it from its long vacation from human contact I could not withhold the three omgs I uttered out loud for the foreign fieldworkers have some sort of conveyance of my pure adulation and excitement the fossilized oystershell throughout the piece gives it a unique quality seldom found in any other lithics and this is by far one of my largest points !!! Click image for larger version

Name:	20210604_062934.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	566079
    Attached Files
    New Jersey

Well that’s beauty of a save . Don’t you love that feeling !
    Someone will chime in from your area on type and Era .

Comment

Take a outside picture please looks like a good one
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Looks like it might be translucent.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Slightly translucent edges to thick I'll try a red laser pointer if I can find it lol
          New Jersey

Comment

Beautiful save, Congrats 🎉

Comment

Way to go Bull. That is some unique material, never saw that before. Kim
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Awesome find. It's rare to find CQ piece item that large. Love that petrified shell on the back of it. It's an amazing lithic, I have much of it from Cumberland Co.
                New Jersey

Comment

• Carolina Hunter
                  Carolina Hunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is Cohansey predominantly NJ lithic?

Great point, and great material! Thanks for sharing
                North Carolina

Comment

Carolina Hunter, it is a local lithic to Greenwich, Cumberland county NJ, found in two layers, the first about 6 feet below the surface and another layer deeper. It is full of fossils like petrified shells, sometimes colorful, agatized, opalized, or sometimes crumbly. Other inclusions are in it too as well as voids. I find it irratic to knap, partially because it's plate-like often. Sometimes it's not even put together and crumbles like weak cement, but sometimes, man it is gorgeous. A similar material is found across the Delaware River I am told. Chansey quartzite was carried far by native people. I love it and have many examples. It has many different looks to it, but it is quartzite at heart.
                  New Jersey

Comment

Thanks Yack it is really a beautifull material. I will post some of my better examples one of these days for the guys who like the translucent stuff !!!
                    New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                    X